topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:15 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Any one else have a bad Window update?  (Read 7019 times)

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Any one else have a bad Window update?
« on: June 02, 2013, 10:14 PM »
My Windows update today with 17 items on my XP machine went okay until after it rebooted. The cursor moved(but didn't curse) and clicking on anything did nothing. I tried control-alt-delete and clicking on the taskbar to get the task manager and clicking on the start menu icon to reboot. Nothing worked. I had to use the power button to reboot twice with no better results. I booted to Safe Mode to run System Restore to get it working again. Any other XP users here?

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
Re: Any one else have a bad Window update?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 06:23 AM »
Mine last updated about 3 weeks ago, no problems.

If you've got an installation disc try running SFC before you try updating again.
I spent 25 years training to be an eccentric then I woke up one morning and realised that I'd cracked it.
I've not had to try since.

I wonder what happens if I click on thi

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 02:59 PM »
My Windows update today with 17 items on my XP machine went okay until after it rebooted. The cursor moved(but didn't curse) and clicking on anything did nothing. I tried control-alt-delete and clicking on the taskbar to get the task manager and clicking on the start menu icon to reboot. Nothing worked. I had to use the power button to reboot twice with no better results. I booted to Safe Mode to run System Restore to get it working again. Any other XP users here?

Just about every time windows releases updates, the update takes but it breaks something else in my system and I have to find a workaround.  This is why my tag-line reads as such.....

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 06:06 PM »
About the only one that is a fairly regular hassle is the IE updates. Half the time they introduce serious compatibility issues with member sites. The last IE update hit one client of mine such  that half his employees could no longer access certain closed real estate and financial sites they need to do their jobs.

Getting Win7 to go back to using IE8 (since IE9 was also problematic) once IE10 had been installed was great fun. :-\

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 11:41 AM »
Getting Win7 to go back to using IE8 (since IE9 was also problematic) once IE10 had been installed was great fun.

Strange, I just went through much the same with a medical client after our management suite decided to auto approve the optional browser updates and their access to the local hospital went poof last Monday morning. It seems the local hospital's ("Highly Secured") patient information portal requires IE8 with a build of Java no higher than 1.6b36. (you just said the F word didn't you... :) ...I know I did at the time)

I rolled them back to IE9, and then IE8. Jumped through a few hoops to get the antique Java build and all went fine.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 04:18 PM »
higher than 1.6b36. (you just said the F word didn't you... :) ...I know I did at the time)

It was a combination of Russian, Latin, and some fine Old Dutch invective I can assure you. (I try not to swear in English when I'm at a client site. ;D)

And regarding antique Java - yup! That's pretty much what I went through too.

Can't wait for some of these sites they're using to get pwned big time. It's only a matter of time. :-\

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 11:32 AM »
My Win7-32bit OS has begun running '1 update' every time I shut down the computer now...over and over and over...
I would like to make it stop somehow.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 12:24 PM »

Heh at least three coders here have mentioned that my box is cranky as all get-out, but I can't recall a truly horrid Win Update in a long time. Then again, I wait about 3 days before I install them, so ya never know if a piece is pulled and replaced! But really, I always use "custom" and look at the update summaries, but they haven't really torched me yet.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 03:19 PM »
See this article:

http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/botched-black-tuesday-patch-kb-2887069-freezes-fails-configure-triggers-bsod-andor-zaps-sound-drivers-232

Jim

Right, this is sorta what I do:

" my first recommendation is to turn off the bloody Automatic Update. Manually check for updates later in the month -- after the masses get used as cannon fodder -- when the coast is clear."

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 08:09 PM »
See this article:

http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/botched-black-tuesday-patch-kb-2887069-freezes-fails-configure-triggers-bsod-andor-zaps-sound-drivers-232

Jim

Right, this is sorta what I do:

" my first recommendation is to turn off the bloody Automatic Update. Manually check for updates later in the month -- after the masses get used as cannon fodder -- when the coast is clear."

Tnx. Just saved me 1 minute per shut-down with loopy update.

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 11:02 AM »
Okay, the loopy updates are gone.
Now it is 'politely' asking if I wish to install IE11.
How say ye all?

It also says there is an 'issue' with the sound card (mobo built-in), but I see no problem and it works fine.
Do you suppose that instead of being in error, it was only mistaken?

Oh, and there is a problem showing the problem message, which if I click on it to see what it is, gives an error mssg pop-up reassuring me something is being done to find a fix, and when I try to close out, hangs and offers a 'cancel' option, then finally closes out.
How inspiring. This is absolutely brilliant; it shows true dedication which ordinary run of the mill software programs are only able to emulate poorly if at all.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 11:11 AM by bit »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 11:25 AM »
If you use Internet Explorer as your browser, you should strongly consider upgrading. Security improvements and bug fixes will help keep you safe while browsing the internet. If you use a third-party browser, you should still consider upgrading as there are a lot of programs that will use IE to render HTML/web content.

As far as my sound goes, I always use the OEM manufacturer's drivers (Realtek, for example, and not Microsoft's or even my motherboard manufacturer's) as those will usually give one the best experience.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 12:05 AM »
I disagree. Don’t install IE11 just yet. It is very buggy and many programs that use IE internally will stop working till they are updated to work with IE11. You won't miss anything sticking with IE10 for now.

Jim

Edit: IE11 apparently has problems with Flash also. See:  http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/ie11-leaves-flash-media-hanging-youtube-more-major-sites-231544

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 10:39 AM »
I'll abide with J-Mac's opinion on this one as I'm one of those people who doesn't use IE unless I absolutely, positively have to.