topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday April 15, 2024, 11:19 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: [Breaking News] Afghanistan cargo plane crash caught on camera  (Read 8618 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The moment a US cargo plane spun out of control and crashed shortly after take-off in Afghanistan, killing all seven crew members, has been captured on video.

The Boeing 747, which had taken off from Bagram airbase near the Afghan capital Kabul destined for Dubai, exploded in flames after crashing to earth on Monday, killing all seven people on board – all of whom were American citizens.
The video footage, filmed by what appears to be a camera on the dashboard of a vehicle driving nearby, shows the plane gaining altitude and then twist, plummeting to earth. It is then engulfed in flames.
The Taliban, in a statement, claimed responsibility for the crash, but Nato’s International Security Assistance Force (Isaf) said there were no reports of insurgent activity in or around the base, which is one of the largest in the country.
The National Transportation Safety Board said it was sending a team of investigators to Afghanistan to assist local authorities with their investigation.
The plane – owned by National Airlines, an Orlando, Florida-based subsidiary of National Air Cargo – was carrying vehicles and other cargo, according to National Air Cargo Vice President Shirley Kaufman.

-Read More: http://www.telegraph...aught-on-camera.html

SeraphimLabs

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • Be Ready
    • View Profile
    • SeraphimLabs
    • Donate to Member
Re: [Breaking News] Afghanistan cargo plane crash caught on camera
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 04:09 PM »
Cause of crash is believed to be its cargo shifting and upsetting the plane's balance, based on communications with air traffic control.

The craft reared up into too steep of a climb, stalled, skidded sideways from lack of airspeed, and then couldn't pull up in time after righting itself.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 04:14 PM »
Cause of crash is believed to be its cargo shifting and upsetting the plane's balance, based on communications with air traffic control.

The craft reared up into too steep of a climb, stalled, skidded sideways from lack of airspeed, and then couldn't pull up in time after righting itself.

-SeraphimLabs (May 02, 2013, 04:09 PM)

I actually found it quite odd that I didn't see this on the BBC or any other news station on TV...at all.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 04:44 PM »

I actually found it quite odd that I didn't see this on the BBC or any other news station on TV...at all.
-Stephen66515 (May 02, 2013, 04:14 PM)

Agree. Supposedly it isn't a hoax either. Makes one wonder....

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 05:21 PM »
It was on the ABC news here the other day (when it happened).

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 08:41 PM »

-Stephen66515 (May 02, 2013, 04:14 PM)

Agree. Supposedly it isn't a hoax either. Makes one wonder....

Yep...As far as I am aware, 7 people died...so...not only do they have an amazing video, they also have deaths to report o.0

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 08:41 PM »
It was on the ABC news here the other day (when it happened).
-Stoic Joker (May 02, 2013, 05:21 PM)

Ah, so at least it was covered SOMEWHERE lol

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 09:38 PM »
What am I missing?
-Stoic Joker (May 02, 2013, 09:25 PM)

Nothing apparently. I did a Google search earlier and came up with hits only for "alternative" news sites. Got none of the majors when I looked.

Weird. :huh:

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 11:51 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk.../world-asia-22347199

http://abcnews.go.co...&section=1206828

http://www.cbsnews.c...base-in-afghanistan/

http://www.foxnews.c...at-bagram-air-field/

It appears to be all over the news ... What am I missing?
-Stoic Joker (May 02, 2013, 09:25 PM)

Nono, I mean Televised News.  Wasn't on the TV or Radio here at all.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 04:54 PM »
  I've looked at the footage many times over.  From a pilots view of things and past experiences with aircraft accident investigations teams, I can tell that the aircraft did in fact stall.  It's not hard to tell from not only it's forward speed, that appeared to "hang" in the air for a few seconds, but also it's steep nose up attitude.  It is hammered into every pilot trained, when your nose is too high and your stalling, push forward on the stick to get your airspeed back up, even if your going to hit mother earth.  More forward motion reduces impact damage, and it hit the ground nose first with little forward airspeed.  But what I thought was strange is that it appeared that he was turning left initially and then turned right and got almost inverted but with the right wing down.  All visual indications looked like an aft heavy balance* which would make the aircraft nose high from too much weight in the aft section.  At that low of altitude and hardly any forward airspeed, it's mostly impossible to get your nose down without enough air flowing over the horizontal stabilizers, so how would they get the nose down right at impact?  It should have hit tail-feathers first.

* If it wasn't a load balance problem, then the pilot was just climbing too steep or the controls weren't functioning correctly, which is why I thought it strange with an aft-heavy aircraft flying that low and slow would hit nose first.

Perhaps they have other footage from another angle that shows what happened during the time the aircraft was out of camera range above the cars windshield.  It only takes one second for an aircraft to go from flyable to unflyable.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 03:00 PM »
Perhaps they have other footage from another angle that shows what happened during the time the aircraft was out of camera range above the cars windshield.

http://www.youtube.c...ture=player_embedded

The aircraft never goes out of frame in this version.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 06:54 AM »
Perhaps a combination of the plane tumbling a bit while (quite literally) falling out of the air, and the pilot overcorrecting then freezing, as the pane gets just enough air speed (from gravity) to "amplify" the tumble.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 07:58 PM »
Perhaps a combination of the plane tumbling a bit while (quite literally) falling out of the air, and the pilot overcorrecting then freezing, as the pane gets just enough air speed (from gravity) to "amplify" the tumble.
-Stoic Joker (May 13, 2013, 06:54 AM)

There is a point where air-speed is totally unuseable for the flaps/ailerons.  Turning the controls left or right will have NO EFFECT.  The only useable control surface at this point will be the Horiontal Stabilizers, in which the pilot would push down the controls forcing the nose down, therefore gaining enough airspeed for the other control surfaces to be useable.  Of course, when your that close to the ground you don't have enough time to gain airspeed before the aircraft impacts the ground.

IF he had of been flying lite (empty cargo) then he would have had enough thrust from the engines to power out of the stall condition with little loss of altitude.  This is why most aircraft incidents happen during landing and takeoff (mostly landing), it's when your flying at minimum airspeeds where the loss of forward flight can happen with just a few knots too little.

There's an old pilot saying:  "Flying is the second most exciting thing you can do.  The first most exciting is landing", which, by the way, was always the funnest thing about flying to me.  There were many of my flights where I never left the traffic pattern just doing "touch and go's" for hours at a time.  It really sharpens your flying skills since it's the most difficult to do, but I just think it's fun.    :D