topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 23, 2024, 7:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Google will be your master in life AND death  (Read 2503 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Google will be your master in life AND death
« on: April 12, 2013, 01:31 AM »
Years ago we had threads like "iDeparted - For when you die", "Death and the net: How to log off gracefully for the very last time", and "release important information after your death with this service", but now Google itself wants to administrate your last online actions. And of course; they mastered our life, so they would see it fair to also master us after we have died, wouldn't they.

My version is in Danish, but I imagine they call the service "administration of inactive account":
https://www.google.c...u/0/account/inactive - maybe you need to be logged in.

Quite natural, I guess, but, ehh... must we make Google our master in both life AND death?
 :tellme:

erikts

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Google will be your master in life AND death
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 01:59 AM »
Screen Shot
2013-04-12_135317.pngGoogle will be your master in life AND death

Plan your digital afterlife with Inactive Account Manager

For example, you can choose to have your data deleted — after three, six, nine or 12 months of inactivity. Or you can select trusted contacts to receive data from some or all of the following services: +1s; Blogger; Contacts and Circles; Drive; Gmail; Google+ Profiles, Pages and Streams; Picasa Web Albums; Google Voice and YouTube. Before our systems take any action, we’ll first warn you by sending a text message to your cellphone and email to the secondary address you’ve provided.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 03:21 AM »
-Thanks for giving the English version, erikts  :up:
"Inactive Account Manager" -hmm...
not Inactive Account-Manager but Inactive Account -Manager.
 ;)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 12:48 PM »
What would be nice is if companies that run hosted blogging platforms would allow someone you designate to inherit your blog, with the ability to continue publishing it, rather than them just getting a copy of the data with the blog ultimately deleted.

I have one blog up, primarily with the intention of it serving a reference for my daughter, beginning after she has moved out, gotten married, and started a family of her own, but also as a "safer" than dead tree archive of a specific type of information that tends to get lost when someone dies (recipes). We are deciding together what gets put on there. I placed it on what I believed to be a stable free blogging service, to avoid the possibility that it would be deleted for nonpayment, in the event of my death. I have even recommended that others do the same.

Being able to inherit that blog and add to it would mean that she could continue it with her own recipes. I think what I will probably end up doing is adding her as an administrator, giving her the ability to add her own recipes to the collection, now, so that way she would still have control over it later on. I think that's about the only way one currently can "inherit" a blog hosted by Google.