topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:40 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Cheaper Pharmaceutical Drugs  (Read 2389 times)

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Cheaper Pharmaceutical Drugs
« on: March 22, 2013, 06:48 PM »

Seriously, do they have to ask the question "Should it be illegal"?  My god, even a 12 year old can tell you it should be illegal.....

Are cheaper pharmaceutical drugs on the way?
By Charlie Osborne | March 22, 2013, 5:08 AM PDT

The Supreme Court will hear arguments on Monday concerning the patent disputes and “pay for delay” tactics.

Often, large pharmaceutical firms are embroiled within patent disputes that not only cause a delay in treatment and sometimes testing, but can keep new drugs off the market longer than necessary. Also, in order to make sure prices stay high, another practice is common. According to U.S. and state regulators, pharmaceutical firms make deals with rivals to keep cheaper products away from consumers.

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has branded these deals “pay for delay,” in order to generate additional revenue for drug companies, and they cost consumers, insurers and government bodies billions of dollars annually.

Having fought pharmaceutical firms in court for over a decade, the FTC’s case has now landed in front of the Supreme Court. The question is whether such deals are anti-competitive or illegal, something both U.S. and European authorities have debated. In a brief, the FTC commented:

“The continuing stream of monopoly profits is large enough to pay the generic competitors more than they could hope to earn if they entered the market at competitive prices.”

A decision is expected this year.

http://www.smartplan...ugs-on-the-way/15695

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Cheaper Pharmaceutical Drugs
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 06:56 PM »
Your title almost made me blindly delete this and ban you for spam lmfao - Auto-pilot sometimes sucks...I should wake up a little bit  ;D

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 07:46 PM »
Your title almost made me blindly delete this and ban you for spam lmfao - Auto-pilot sometimes sucks...I should wake up a little bit  ;D
-Stephen66515 (March 22, 2013, 06:56 PM)

LOL!  I didn't even think of that when I posted, but not like I could give it another title and be accurate.   :)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 07:50 PM »
USA - when 12 year olds in Civics classics generate fairer results than the courts!  :o

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 07:04 PM »
USA - when 12 year olds in Civics classics generate fairer results than the courts!  :o

Yep, kind of says something about our Representatives, which by the way, in no manner do they "represent" the voters that put them in office.