topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 11:25 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Many games turn my dual screens black then freeze - help!  (Read 2921 times)

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
For months I've experienced this issue and never found an answer: so time to ask the DC community!

When many games try to go fullscreen both of my dual screens go black and the system freezes.

I can't hit escape, alt+tab, win+tab, ctrl+alt+del, win+pause/break, win+d

The only way to get out of this situation is to hit the power or reset button and reboot.

A few examples…

Games that run just fine
All games in my Steam library
Batman Arkham Asylum
Civ V
Perspective

Games that black screen
Flight Control HD
Gatling Gears
OIO
Qrth-Phyl
Master of Alchemy
Super Hexagon

I can see no connection between those games that work and those that don't.
One way to get around the issue is to run offending games in a window, and if they don't offer that option to run them in a sandbox (such as the Comodo Firewall sandbox or SandIE) which forces them into a window.

Gfx Driver: Catalyst 13.1
Gfx Card: Radeon HD5770
Screen Res: 1280x1024 both screens.

Does anyone have any thoughts about what is going on? The situation is driving me mad!

Thanks

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
Re: Many games turn my dual screens black then freeze - help!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 08:55 PM »
Ah-ha! I may have found the answer myself... seems to be the Defense+ component of Comodo Firewall causing the problem - it is asking me to create a rule for the new game I am running, but the dialogue box is trapped behind the fullscreen application with no way to retrieve it!

And just discovered that Comodo Firewall does contain a manually enabled Game Mode that solves this issue, though I've not discovered HOW it solves the issue!

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Many games turn my dual screens black then freeze - help!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 06:53 PM »
  If your playing these games offline, you can RMC on Comodo Firewall and set Sandbox Security Level and Defense + Security levels to Disable, and Firewall Security Level to Block All, and then exit Comodo Firewall.  The front-end of Comodo will exit but will keep a portion of itself running in the background to block all incoming and outgoing transmissions.  You can now disable your anti-virus since the internet is blocked.  Whenever your done gaming, re-enable your anti-virus, run Comodo Firewall again and change the Sandbox, Defense and Firewall Security Level back to it's original settings.  Now your ready to surf again.  If you have a Network not working error of any kind, just RMC and select "Repair" and it will refresh your network.  This is the best way to play graphic/cpu intensive offline games and give yourself more RAM to work with as well.