topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Crowdfunding a life goal.  (Read 5937 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Crowdfunding a life goal.
« on: March 06, 2013, 08:52 PM »
Hey guys,

I am interesting in hearing your thoughts on this subject.  Basically, I am trying to fund a life goal, but, am not really pushing the whole site link or anything, yet, I logged in to my paypal earlier, and noticed a pretty nice donation had landed on it.  Now, I have not sent ANYBODY this link, so it was obviously somebody just browsing on Indiegogo and wanted to help.

Now...Question is...is this something anybody here has tried, or will try?  I mean...It has obviously struck up somebodies interest enough to donate a nice amount...

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Crowdfunding a life goal.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 09:01 PM »
Inspiring someone to maybe also take a step of their own does work.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 09:09 PM »
Inspiring someone to maybe also take a step of their own does work.

Had to read that like 6 times before it made sense...brain malfunction to the max.

Yes, I suppose it might have inspired them, or perhaps it was something they have achieved, and want to help others do.

I don't really wanna push the project too much though as I feel like it is shameless self-promotion (If you know what I mean)

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 09:16 PM »
(My posts should always come with a disclaimer: English not my mother tongue + not smart = bad combination)

I wouldn't call it self promotion. If it is helping you achieve something it's a good thing. Plus it can also help someone else.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 09:19 PM »
Well, the link it in my forum sig, I think that is enough for this :P

Anyway, is this something you (or anybody else) have thought about doing?

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 09:39 PM »
Thought about asking family/friends for financial help - to reach a goal - yes.
An online or public method? no don't think I have ever thought about it that way. Will be following your campaign with interest.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 01:58 AM »
Know a couple-two-t'ree folk who've done similar in the brick-and-mortar world.  Worked for two (2) of 'em, dunno about the third - lost contact.  They were hesitant, of course, but their desire was stronger than their embarrassment  ;), so they asked - and received much more than they expected. "Ya never know 'til ya try," said the wise[r than me] man  :P.  (Frankly, that displayed more courage than I think I could muster - it's hard to ask for help.)

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 07:15 PM »
  I did it the hard way, flying 3 to 5 flights a week when possible while taking ground school at the same time.  Walked away with my Private Pilots License in a little under 8 months and started leasing a Piper Warrior a couple months later.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 07:31 PM »
  I did it the hard way, flying 3 to 5 flights a week when possible while taking ground school at the same time.  Walked away with my Private Pilots License in a little under 8 months and started leasing a Piper Warrior a couple months later.

I was flying a lot, back when funds allowed, and when they ran out, I didn't fly for over a year :(

Last time I flew was last month, but only for 1 hour...that's the first time in ageeeees :(

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 08:18 PM »

I was flying a lot, back when funds allowed, and when they ran out, I didn't fly for over a year :(

Last time I flew was last month, but only for 1 hour...that's the first time in ageeeees :(
-Stephen66515 (March 08, 2013, 07:31 PM)

I feel for ya bro.  The bad thing about flying that infrequently is it cost you more money in the longrun.  That's why I dived in (no pun intended) fully and slammed so many training flights in a short time.  It's not like riding a bicycle, you forget things, especially when it comes to handling the aircraft.  Another thing to consider is having the same instructor, I had mostly 1 instructor, but when he wasn't available I had to go with other instructors.  All of them have "their way" of doing things, pet peeves, etc.  One of them I considered just throwing out of the aircraft and claiming he committed suicide, he was such a dick.  If you stick with one, you know his ways and he knows your strengths and weaknesses.
  My FAA checkflight was 4 HOURS LONG and went into the night.  That guy drilled me like a Marine Drill Instructor.  When I finally got the aircraft docked and chocked, I was sopping wet with sweat, mentally and physically drained.  When he handed my my temp license, I was so relieved and excited, but the only thing I wanted was a shower and a bed.....

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 09:32 AM »

I feel for ya bro.  The bad thing about flying that infrequently is it cost you more money in the longrun.  That's why I dived in (no pun intended) fully and slammed so many training flights in a short time.  It's not like riding a bicycle, you forget things, especially when it comes to handling the aircraft.  Another thing to consider is having the same instructor, I had mostly 1 instructor, but when he wasn't available I had to go with other instructors.  All of them have "their way" of doing things, pet peeves, etc.  One of them I considered just throwing out of the aircraft and claiming he committed suicide, he was such a dick.  If you stick with one, you know his ways and he knows your strengths and weaknesses.
  My FAA checkflight was 4 HOURS LONG and went into the night.  That guy drilled me like a Marine Drill Instructor.  When I finally got the aircraft docked and chocked, I was sopping wet with sweat, mentally and physically drained.  When he handed my my temp license, I was so relieved and excited, but the only thing I wanted was a shower and a bed.....

Hahaha.

Bit strange your checkflight went into the night though.  Especially with Night/IFR being a totally different set of training/exams :O

I intend to throw myself in and do all the flying in a short period of time, hence the crowd-funding idea.  The ONLY thing stopping me, is funds.

I keep myself up to scratch as much as possible by reading ground school docs, and (as odd as it sounds) going on Flight Simulator every now and again...I know FS isn't exactly perfect, but, it's all I have, and I guess it is better than nothing...and with the right setup, it can be pretty damn realistic, especially when I boot up X-Plane 10 :P

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 07:20 PM »
Hahaha.

Bit strange your checkflight went into the night though.  Especially with Night/IFR being a totally different set of training/exams :O

I intend to throw myself in and do all the flying in a short period of time, hence the crowd-funding idea.  The ONLY thing stopping me, is funds.

I keep myself up to scratch as much as possible by reading ground school docs, and (as odd as it sounds) going on Flight Simulator every now and again...I know FS isn't exactly perfect, but, it's all I have, and I guess it is better than nothing...and with the right setup, it can be pretty damn realistic, especially when I boot up X-Plane 10 :P

He took me into the night to make sure I knew how to navigate at nighttime.  He put foggles on me and had me fly all kind of different courses, and then with no GPS I had to figure out where I was and fly back to the base (Osan Air Base, S.Korea).  Oh, and he also changed the gyro compass out something like 45 degrees while I was under the foggles to see if I could recognize the problem while trying to find my way back home.  Luckily I figured it out when I was flying north by the gyro and was seeing ocean instead of mountains.  lol  That's when I reset the gyro to the magnetic compass and turned back on the correct (true) course.  Then using the old AM band nav, I tuned into a radio station south of the base to triangulate my approximate location.  It's really unnerving at night time, especially with ocean on one side and mountains on the other.  lol
-Stephen66515 (March 09, 2013, 09:32 AM)