topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 2:43 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Opera to move to webkit/chromium rendering engines  (Read 25156 times)

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Opera to move to webkit/chromium rendering engines
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2013, 11:17 PM »
Sorry, I'm growing weary of a "+1" which is a Google invention applied to everything.

Did they make it THAT easy?

It's a lot older than that. Google simply used it. It has been popular in the developer community for forever +1 day. ;)

Yes - WebKit is more of an Apple thing than a Google thing.  But it's used pretty widely.

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 06:32 AM »
How come its only now that the truth about webkit emerges,after so many bug-ridden years?

http://news.cnet.com...dden-house-in-order/

http://blog.methvin....-webkit-commons.html

Will Opera magically improve Webkit and allow everyone else to reap the benefits ?
Somehow I really doubt it.  IMO webkit was just an excuse to dump the Presto team.

Ska

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 12:34 AM »
Will Opera magically improve Webkit and allow everyone else to reap the benefits ?
Somehow I really doubt it.  IMO webkit was just an excuse to dump the Presto team.

I have always loved Opera, this news saddens me as much as anyone and probably more than most--but let's get real. While Opera has pioneered MDI, tabs, autofill, bookmark sync and nearly every other feature (extensions withstanding) we expect in every major browser, Opera has never gained any traction. Ever. If I could personally choose just one rendering engine, it'd be Presto if only for Dragonfly -- but that is irrelevant because, again, zero traction. Presto is fantastic... and a liability.

longrun

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2013, 07:40 PM »
I've got Opera M2 emails going back to 2000. Regardless of what benchmarks show, Opera has always seemed infinitely faster to me than IE or Firefox. I vowed never to try Chrome when I read that it couldn't be uninstalled w/o screwing up Windows.

If necessary I'll just stick with old-fashioned Opera until it no longer works on Windows, and then run it in a virtual machine.

I wonder if this move is the major philosophical difference that forced founder Jon von Tetzchner to leave.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2013, 04:34 PM »
I vowed never to try Chrome when I read that it couldn't be uninstalled w/o screwing up Windows.

Uninstalled and re-installed numerous times, no issues to report on XP, Vista, 7 or 8...

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2013, 12:31 AM »
I vowed never to try Chrome when I read that it couldn't be uninstalled w/o screwing up Windows.

Uninstalled and re-installed numerous times, no issues to report on XP, Vista, 7 or 8...

Yeah, I've never heard/read that before now and it certainly hasn't been my experience.  I remember that being an issue with AOL but that was a very long time ago.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2013, 10:01 AM »
Yeah, I've never heard/read that before now and it certainly hasn't been my experience.  I remember that being an issue with AOL but that was a very long time ago.

Same here. But there is a lot of browser confusion out there, with so many browsers on the market.

And sometimes one even needs to remind people that Opera is...

aol-style-opera.jpgOpera to move to webkit/chromium rendering engines

Old screenshot of Opera configured to resemble the layout style of AOL, originally used to convince AOL users to try something else.

erikts

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2013, 04:20 AM »
Opera 15 preview released, Mail becomes separate product

One of the things that you may notice right away is that Opera decided to separate the Mail client M2 from the browser. If you have been using Opera Mail before, you need to download the separate product from the same website to continue using it.

opera-15-next-660x605.jpgOpera to move to webkit/chromium rendering engines
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 04:21 AM by erikts, Reason: Add screenshot »

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2013, 08:51 AM »
Opera 15 preview released, Mail becomes separate product

One of the things that you may notice right away is that Opera decided to separate the Mail client M2 from the browser. If you have been using Opera Mail before, you need to download the separate product from the same website to continue using it.
(see attachment in previous post)

Dream come true... whatever happens to Opera, I've always wanted a standalone M2. I'm guessing html email uses presto?

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2014, 03:13 AM »
Beta version of Otter Browser (project aiming to recreate classic Opera (12.x) UI using Qt5) is out:
http://otter-browser.org/