topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 2:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: A cautionary fairy-tale. Sort of... (Humor)  (Read 2199 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A cautionary fairy-tale. Sort of... (Humor)
« on: February 11, 2013, 01:01 PM »
no.gif

A Nightmare on Linux Avenue
By Chris Hall

Let’s say it finally happens and the big OEMs get tired of dealing with Microsoft and decide to make Windows only one choice of several on new computers. Not a world like we have now, where the likes of Dell halfheartedly offer half baked and broken installs of Ubuntu, installs that need serious tweaking before they’ll work. Not that world, but a pretend world of Linux being offered across all models, with a choice between two or three distros. You know, OEMs giving Linux exactly the same treatment as they give Windows today.

Sounds like Tux heaven does it not? Don’t be in too big a hurry to celebrate.

Say this day has arrived. You wake-up in the morning and go to check your email, only to discover your computer won’t boot. Right away you know it’s the motherboard, because it’s been showing signs of dying for about a year but you haven’t been able to afford do anything about it. Not to worry, though. Not only have you been making regular backups on an external hard drive, so your data is safe, you also saw an advert just the day before on a sale in progress at the Big Bytes store on Huddle Palace brand Linux boxes.

So you eat a bowl of genetically modified corn flakes and head for the store, where you walk past a small display of Windows computers that are being ignored and gathering dust, much to your inner pleasure. In a much larger, cleaner and brighter area, set-off by a gigantic cut-out of Tux holding a clearly branded Huddle Palace laptop with the words “I run Linux!” on the screen, you are immediately approached by a salesman who asks if you’d be interested in buying an extended service contract.

The timing of the question seems somewhat strange, prompting you to ask, “On what? I haven’t bought anything yet.”

The salesman, a boy really, is unfazed. “Well, what are you looking for?”

Read the rest here.

A little over the top in a few spots. But the picture it paints could soon become all too real if some of the direction Ubuntu seems to want to go in ever gains traction with a 'big box' store or mega-retailer.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 03:39 PM by 40hz »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: A cautionary fairy-tale. Sort of... (Humor)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 02:42 PM »
Heh too many words for me just now. I just like how happily the comp cartoon character gleefully crushes a user's dreams!