topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Mp3 File Format Issue Split From Silly Humor Thread  (Read 13393 times)

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Mp3 File Format Issue Split From Silly Humor Thread
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2013, 09:11 PM »
  Gee, I didn't mean to start such an ordeal over one lousy wav file.  Anyhow, I'm uploading the original (I do believe) codec that I installed.  This is a self-installing zip file, but you need to rename it back to .exe.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2013, 05:28 AM »
Meh, file formats and compression are just some of those fun things!  :-*
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2013, 06:57 AM »
Fresh clean unmodified copy, with both .wav and .mp3 file extensions, loaded into the latest version of Trout.
That's pretty weird! But you can clearly see that it hasn't been able to parse the file as MP3, since bitrate, samplerate and channels are wrong. Perhaps it just directly feeds the file to a 3rd-party library, which then correctly parses the data as WAVE nonetheless?

Your FFmpeg screenshot mentions the file being created with GoldWave, which is not the sndrec.exe which shipped with Win95 that Tinman says he created the file in. I am guessing it was an older version of this app that he used.
Indeed - shouldn't really make much of a difference, though, any WAVE editor that supports the codecs available on the system would produce more or less the same output.

Gee, I didn't mean to start such an ordeal over one lousy wav file.  Anyhow, I'm uploading the original (I do believe) codec that I installed.  This is a self-installing zip file, but you need to rename it back to .exe. (see attachment in previous post)
:) - well, unless somebody has played tricks on you, that codec isn't the codec used to compress the Define.wav. That file is clearly TrueSpeech and not mp3-encoded... just tested on a clean XP VM, installing the l3codec above still doesn't enable me to open the file.

It also seems that the codec is decode-only (unless Audacity isn't able to use system codecs) - which is fine and well, since the compression-enabled codec iirc was commercial :)

Meh, file formats and compression are just some of those fun things!  :-*
Indeed - this was a fun bit of detective work :)
- carpe noctem

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2013, 01:43 PM »
Indeed - this was a fun bit of detective work :)

That explains a few things then.  I never coded that wav file, it was already coded when I downloaded it.  I've got such a large collection of those wav files from the past that it's hard for me to keep up with, especially since I've slept many times since then...   ;)