topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: MISSING images or pics ?  (Read 5296 times)

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
MISSING images or pics ?
« on: January 24, 2013, 09:04 AM »
Sometimes images that have been included in a post, here at DC, aren't there.  What's the story... removed, broken link, my browser... .. .   :tellme:

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: MISSING images or pics ?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 11:30 AM »
What's the story... removed, broken link, my browser...

Yes.

Granted it depends on how many images are not appearing how often, so if it's only a few here or there, now and then. Then sure any of the above could be the culprit. But if it's a bunch of them frequently...more digging/detail is most likely advisable.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 11:41 AM »
What's the story... removed, broken link, my browser...

Yes.

Granted it depends on how many images are not appearing how often, so if it's only a few here or there, now and then. Then sure any of the above could be the culprit. But if it's a bunch of them frequently...more digging/detail is most likely advisable.

It's not a bunch... more like now and then.  My only recent change to my machine was uninstalling Java.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 01:43 PM »
My only recent change to my machine was uninstalling Java.

Java isn't used for rendering any part of this forum, so uninstalling it wouldn't affect whether or not you could view any of the images in posts. If that were the problem, then I'd be having trouble viewing images too (and I am not), as this computer that I am currently using has NEVER had Java installed on it.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 01:53 PM »
My only recent change to my machine was uninstalling Java.

Java isn't used for rendering any part of this forum, so uninstalling it wouldn't affect whether or not you could view any of the images in posts. If that were the problem, then I'd be having trouble viewing images too (and I am not), as this computer that I am currently using has NEVER had Java installed on it.

Not knowing that much about computers in general, I thought I'd post the Java uninstall info, just to make sure.   :)

Have you run across any missing images here app103?

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 02:28 PM »
I occasionally do. Usually caused by one of the following:

• Poster forgot to attach the image to the post.
  • Poster used another site to host and hotlinked the image and the image was deleted later on.
  • Poster messed up the code to insert the image.
  • My pc lost connection to the internet before the image could be loaded.
  • I have images turned off in my browser and forgot to turn them back on. (this would affect all images on all sites, not just here)

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 03:14 PM »
I occasionally do. Usually caused by one of the following:

• Poster forgot to attach the image to the post.
  • Poster used another site to host and hotlinked the image and the image was deleted later on.
  • Poster messed up the code to insert the image.
  • My pc lost connection to the internet before the image could be loaded.
  • I have images turned off in my browser and forgot to turn them back on. (this would affect all images on all sites, not just here)

Today it seems maybe it was my browser?  I went to include this DC link - Reply #91 and it's there... a YouTube video.  Couldn't tell what it was yesterday.  There was just a blank white box with a slashed-O in the upper left-hand corner.   :huh:   Is there a name for this slashed-O thingy when it's displayed like this?

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 06:38 PM »
There was just a blank white box with a slashed-O in the upper left-hand corner.   :huh:   Is there a name for this slashed-O thingy when it's displayed like this?
  That's just the "Template" to show that the image couldn't be displayed at the time.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 03:02 PM »
Today it seems maybe it was my browser?  I went to include this DC link - Reply #91 and it's there... a YouTube video.

Youtube videos are flash, not images. Maybe you are having some sort of issue with your flash plugin?

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 07:29 PM »
Today it seems maybe it was my browser?  I went to include this DC link - Reply #91 and it's there... a YouTube video.
Youtube videos are flash, not images. Maybe you are having some sort of issue with your flash plugin?
  On the right side of the YouTube pages, all of the selections for the videos are .jpg images.  You click on them and it takes you to the actual .flv video.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 09:06 AM »
  On the right side of the YouTube pages, all of the selections for the videos are .jpg images.  You click on them and it takes you to the actual .flv video.

But here on DC, when you use the youtube bbcode tag, it embeds the video, which is flash, and not an image. His complaint was about missing images here on DC, which turned out to be missing youtube videos.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 06:43 PM »
But here on DC, when you use the youtube bbcode tag, it embeds the video, which is flash, and not an image. His complaint was about missing images here on DC, which turned out to be missing youtube videos.

My bad!   :-[  I thought he was actually talking about going to the Youtube site.  :redface: