topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 8:03 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Video rant against Windows 8  (Read 17481 times)

widgewunner

• Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Video rant against Windows 8
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2012, 01:23 PM »
Thanks for the link to the very well done video. If true, the (un)usability points made (e.g. mystery-meat navigation, empty settings page, etc.) are unforgivable. I am still running XP on my main box but it looks like I'll be migrating to Linux sooner rather than later. In the meantime its probably time to pick up a retail version of Win7Pro while its still available.

I blame Apple (where design, look and feel trump power and functionality - Who needs a right mouse button when having just one is so... elegant?). Microsoft has drunk (drank? drunken? dranken?) their cool aid. Funny, I feel the same way as the video author (unbelievably frustrated) whenever I have to sit down and get something done on a Mac. Where is the right click context menu anyway?

Mouse? We don't need no stinking mouse! (or keyboard.)

No Win8/Metro in my near future. But then again, I'm not the guy in their marketing targets. I'd rather have a VT-100 connected to a 64KB PDP-11 with 8" floppies and a 10MB Winchester hard disk running RT-11 or RSX! (Well, not really, but just about!) Yeah, I know - I need to join the 21st century. Although I do feel like Abe Simpson sometimes, it appears that the lowest common denominator truly is getting lower and lower.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2012, 01:53 PM »
I'll simply say I'm still waiting for the Next Evolution for context. Win8 caught my psing notice for being among the most aggressively hyped editions ever. I don't like "blind walls" of the future.

So by Win 9 (Win Blue? I saw an article on that!) (which will also be hyped), at least we'll have a bit more context to work with.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2012, 02:14 PM »
Ok. In the spirit of fairness I just completed another week of having Win 8 on it's very own laptop - and using it as much as possible.

It still doesn't work for me. YMMV. In my case it's back to using Win7/Linux until further notice.

I guess I can always run Win8 on a VM should I ever need it. 8)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2012, 06:16 PM »
Looking at the video again I do agree with a lot of it but two things to point out:

1) He wasn't using the RTM version - it is the consumer preview I think so it wasn't actually finished.
2) The problems with mouse pad gestures are probably not MS fault - they are part of the driver software for the mouse pad he is using. My older mouse pad doesn't do what he experienced.

There is still much, IMHO, that makes Win 8 unproductive for end users and intensley frustrating to use and much of what he says still applies.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2013, 01:01 PM »
The video was annoying - rhetoric as well as voice. He also obviously tries to cash-in on the  ZeroPunctuation style (colors, graphics, hyperbole) - but while it works wonderfully for Yahtzee and is a fine way to review games, it makes me want to smack the Boyko dude in the face.

He claims he's spent time with a bunch of other operating systems, even Linux back in the days... so, like, he did no RTFM'ing or googling or anything for any of those? Then he sits down with Win8, does no RTFM'ing (a few minutes on google would have solved any of this problems), and apparently doesn't even apply prior Windows knowledge (like Alt+F4)? Come on.

I'm not sure if it's plain stupidity or pageview-bleargh. I'd say a healthy dose of both.

Win8 still going strong on my work laptop, btw, and I'm hardly ever seeing Metro pop up.
- carpe noctem

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2013, 01:26 PM »
The video was annoying - rhetoric as well as voice. He also obviously tries to cash-in on the  ZeroPunctuation style (colors, graphics, hyperbole) - but while it works wonderfully for Yahtzee and is a fine way to review games, it makes me want to smack the Boyko dude in the face.

He claims he's spent time with a bunch of other operating systems, even Linux back in the days... so, like, he did no RTFM'ing or googling or anything for any of those? Then he sits down with Win8, does no RTFM'ing (a few minutes on google would have solved any of this problems), and apparently doesn't even apply prior Windows knowledge (like Alt+F4)? Come on.

I'm not sure if it's plain stupidity or pageview-bleargh. I'd say a healthy dose of both.

Win8 still going strong on my work laptop, btw, and I'm hardly ever seeing Metro pop up.

Pretty on target F0dder. My early impression without having used it is that there are certainly some new and probably annoying wrinkles, "the style is the message". The word-per-min count is really high, and that only works for two things - inspiring excitement from a brilliant presentation or ... high pressure agenda-sales. After a few days since this thread was posted, with some time to think, I'd say now I'd prefer a slower, FAR more balanced presentation with a slant like "okay, for those of you who are used to your desktop, you do this-andthis-andthis-andthis and you get back to something mostly resembling what you are used to."

But none of that may even matter, which makes it all worse. Some time back there was a quick article about "Windows Blue" (aka Windows 8.1 / 9 / SP1) which might in fact fix a lot of things. So there's little worse than getting dragged into a "topical rant" which might be old hat by July.