topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 23, 2024, 12:17 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Required Alias Prefix being cleared from Search Box  (Read 3342 times)

donw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Required Alias Prefix being cleared from Search Box
« on: January 01, 2013, 09:33 PM »
I setup a Required Alias Prefix with a value of "`". I did this to speed up alias searches and avoid mixing aliases with regular searches. There are two problems.

1. Auto complete - if I type "`c" I will see cpanel in the search results. If I hit Tab to auto complete I get "cpanel" in the search box but the leading "`" has been cleared so it isn't recognized as an alias any more.

2. Repeated searches - once I figured out that I needed to type "`fc" I got Fcalc working again. However if I type a calculation like "`fc 2+2" and then hit Enter to be able to input a new calculation the search box is set to "fc" without the leading (and required) "`".

Please consider fixing this as it makes using a Required Alias Prefix almost more trouble than it is worth. If the Required Alias Prefix is present in the search box the it should be left there for Auto Complete and repeated searches.

donw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Required Alias Prefix being cleared from Search Box
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 09:46 PM »
After watching some more of the FARR videos (thanks mouser), I have come up with a partial solution to finding aliases without having to type +alias at the end of a search. I turned off the Required Alias Prefix and defined the following alias:

1000>>>alias search>->dosearch $$1 +alias>+>^a (.*)$

This alias allows me to see all the aliases starting with "b" by typing "a b", which is one character longer than typing "`b" when I has the Required Alias Prefix set. It is not perfect as it only lists fixed aliases and doesn't list regular expression aliases. It also inserts "+alias" into regular expression aliases like fc, which could be coded to ignore "+alias" but typically haven't been made that fancy.

To summarize: I have an acceptable workaround. It would be nice if the behavior of FARR with the Required Alias Prefix was smarter as it really isn't very usable right now. This problem won't stop me from using FARR as I think it is a very flexible and powerful product.