topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:36 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Firefox Print All Tabs (to PDF)  (Read 11794 times)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Firefox Print All Tabs (to PDF)
« on: December 12, 2012, 10:09 AM »
This is bothering me because it's apparently way harder than it should be. MilesAhead did the BBSS widget that grabs tabs and creates a paired list of titles and URLs. What would be nice is to have another widget that scrolls through in the same way and saves each tab one by one.

Unfortunately, with a few web searches, it isn't easy for lil' ol' me to find one. I tried a couple of the suggested add-ons, but they don't work for me. Is that a fallout of FF being on literally 18.0? (Remember the good ol' days when we debated V3.x and V 4.x? over the course of a year? Version 18.0? Really?! Chrome envy much? Did someone discover version numbers = revenue!? )

This "can't be that hard". Scroll Tab, issue a print command, bonus feature= if it sees a duplicate (because the positions shift on Monster.com, you can get the same page twice) just append a copy2 or something the second time.

Instead I am getting nothing useful out of three search engines over a dev span of some 8 years.

Can the DC gang that specializes in "external scripts" do what no one else has been able to (easily find) in 8 years? There's only 4 features in the entire process, but I just burned 8 hours doing it manually; there's no reason it has to be that hard.

Note1: If it helps, I can set Adobe PDF Printer as my default printer in like 5 clicks, so y'all don't have to get hung up thinking PDFs are scary, I just need it to read the page, automatically append Copy2 Copy3 whatever until it gets a valid name, then save it, and move on. )

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox Print All Tabs (to PDF)
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 10:37 AM »
If you mean the FF AddOn would otherwise work if not for FF version then check this AddOn
checkCompatibility

If that doesn't work you can manually change the install.rdf file as described here

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 05:29 PM »
universal-print works.
I don't like it, and I don't use it, I merely re-tested to see if it still would the job.

2012-12-13_002342.gif

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 09:22 PM »
universal-print works.
I don't like it, and I don't use it, I merely re-tested to see if it still would the job.
 (see attachment in previous post)

Good effort Curt, I did try that one, but it gave me dead files that didn't open afterward. I seem to get fluke case errors apparently but 95% of my software works fine, so if something just doesn't work, it just doesn't work. I'm starting to lose track of which does which, but one of them (can't recall now if it's U-Print) kept making new tabs out of thin air so it kept trying to save blank tabs. That's bad news because keeping the item counts intact is important.

michaelquill

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 10:52 PM »
Did you try
Print pages to Pdf 0.1.8.0 by The Ripper
Creates one Pdf from any amount of open Browsertabs,Bookmarks/-folder, Scrapbook(Plus) pages. This document can be archived, sended by e-mail or printed out with any standard Pdf Viewer.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/print-pages-to-pdf/

This still works as of firefox 17.01.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 11:29 PM »
Did you try
Print pages to Pdf 0.1.8.0 by The Ripper
Creates one Pdf from any amount of open Browsertabs,Bookmarks/-folder, Scrapbook(Plus) pages. This document can be archived, sended by e-mail or printed out with any standard Pdf Viewer.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/print-pages-to-pdf/

This still works as of firefox 17.01.

Good effort Michael, between your post and Curt's, hence why I posted this thread. That one just jammed up on the very first page and sat there. I'm on Beta 18.0, I haven't gotten fancy to try to back-load previous FF versions for these plugins yet. I was hoping it would all Just Work.

Edit: More info:
Universal Print gets jammed in creating endless new tabs, and other weirdness.
Print-Pages-to-PDF was creating blank pdfs.

Still looking.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 01:33 AM by TaoPhoenix »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 01:29 AM »
(Edit: Dead post, an admin can delete this. I posted before I actually looked at a print result.)