topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 7:57 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: A laptop for $600-$700  (Read 2116 times)

dluby

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A laptop for $600-$700
« on: December 08, 2012, 10:14 AM »
Hi,

I am living in Ireland but a friend of mine is coming home from the States in two weeks and he has been 'volunteered' to bring home a laptop for me  :D  I am looking to buy a laptop with the following specifications:

Intel i5 (gen 3) processor, 15.6" screen, 6GB+ RAM, 500+GB hard-drive and preferably a separate graphics card but would settle for an Intel HD Graphics 4000 and within the price range of $600-$700.

Would you have any recommendations of what and where to buy?  For those of you who have tried Windows 8 is it worth going for or to stick with good old Windows 7?

Do you know if Dell laptops bought in USA can be fixed under warranty here?

Many thanks

Damian

« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 10:27 AM by dluby »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: A laptop for $600-$700
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 11:31 AM »
I would definitely stick with Windows 7 for the time being unless you're buying a touch enabled machine specifically intended to run Windows 8. MSoft still has work to do making Win 8 more comfortable for its non-touch users.

re: Dell Warranty

AFAIK, Dell machines purchased in the US or Canada come with the North American limited warranty. So the terms and conditions are only those that would be binding in the US or Canada. I don't know if the warranty would remain valid for a machine purchased for immediate transport and permanent residence outside the US/Canada. Your best bet would be to call and ask them.

Note: US warranties are not particularly strong warranties. You may have more rights and coverage with a non-US warranty since you folks seem to have stronger consumer protection laws than we have.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 11:42 AM by 40hz »