topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:36 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Malwarebytes FREE and PRO/Premium - Mini-Review.  (Read 95300 times)

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Malwarebytes FREE and PRO/Premium - Mini-Review.
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2014, 08:10 AM »
Due to this sluggish behaviour I removed KIS again. Used the safe boot way (in the past, when removing KIS I never used the safe boot mode, wasn't aware of it)
After uninstalling KIS (kavremove.exe) and rebooting in normal mode, all services were stopped, personal theme/settings were greyed out, no network, etc.etc.
Spent hours on trying to fix this, but ended up installing WIndows... (could not do a systemrestore, it was disabled, one way or the other)
Great!
Everybody will say this shouldn't be happening and that I am one out of millions and (of course) nobody heard about such issues before... 
But fact is, it did
I followed the exact steps as per Kaspersky's support website.

Installed NIS and MBAM and they work fine!

=
Malwarebytes MBAM-exe-KIS 2014-vs NIS-MBAM-heavy workload-combined-02-170614 114134.pngMalwarebytes FREE and PRO/Premium - Mini-Review.
=

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2014, 10:34 AM »
UPDATE: 2014-07-03 - made notes in the review regarding:
  • I today came across McAfee Stinger Portable | PortableApps.com (a potential $FREE MBAM alternative which I have not trialled).
  • I today noticed that the Vista Ultimate installation of MBAM updated itself:
     * from version series 1.x (PRO),
     * to the newer version series 2.x (Premium),
     - so I would guess that the version series 1.x might now be obsolete.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2014, 12:37 PM »
@IainB

There is a new look for MBAM you may want to add?  Some functions are different as well.  Or gone... i.e. tabs, 3rd-party stuff, etc.

As of this posting you can scroll down and see some of the screens here:  https://www.malwareb...tes.org/antimalware/

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2014, 12:47 AM »
@crabby3:
Yes, please refer to the updated opening post and my update notes here Re: Malwarebytes FREE and PRO/Premium - Mini-Review..

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2014, 04:24 AM »
@crabby3:
Yes, please refer to the updated opening post and my update notes here Re: Malwarebytes FREE and PRO/Premium - Mini-Review..

I guess just a one-fourth screen-shot link is okay?  Is this the Authentic IainB?   ;D :)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2014, 09:05 AM »
@crabby3:
I guess just a one-fourth screen-shot link is okay?  Is this the Authentic IainB?   ;D :)

Your initial question was in:
@IainB
There is a new look for MBAM you may want to add?  Some functions are different as well.  Or gone... i.e. tabs, 3rd-party stuff, etc.
As of this posting you can scroll down and see some of the screens here:  https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/

What I was referring to was in particular response to that question, and it was was where the opening post of my mini-review now says So, for more information, please refer to that review - which also includes 10 or so screenshots of the MBAM GUI and windows. (see quote below).
I often post some/all of the comment-worthy text content sourced from other posts sans embedded hyperlinks/images, for purely informational purposes and so that people can independently use the hyperlink to the source to access the real McCoy for fuller information. However, I would generally avoid copying/duplicating all the content (including screenshots) of a perfectly good existing review - e.g., like the excellent one by PCmag - to avoid unnecessary duplication and the risk of detracting from their well-deserved potential traffic hits.

...There's not a lot to report otherwise, except that the latest MBAM Premium version 2.x GUI and modus operandi are different/improved to the MBAM PRO version 1.x. These differences are discussed in a rigorous test review report of MBAM Premium, by the excellent Neil J. Rubenking - Lab Results Looking Up - Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 Review & Rating | PCMag.com.
So, for more information, please refer to that review - which also includes 10 or so screenshots of the MBAM GUI and windows.
(My thanks to @Arizona Hot for pointing out the PCMAG review in his comment Re: Interesting "stuff".)

Summary rating from that PCMAG review:
Note that Install and scan in Safe Mode is a newly-added feature, and the Chameleon and rootkit scan features were previously functions that were separate to and not integrated with MBAM v1.x.
PROS
Installs and scans in Safe Mode.
Chameleon technology resists malware attack.
Excellent results in malware removal lab test.
Improved user interface and ease of use.
Integrates previously separate rootkit scan.
CONS
No real-time protection against attack.
BOTTOM LINE
When other antivirus products fail, tech support
agents turn to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0.
It remains a very effective cleanup tool, and
with version 2.0 it gets significant improvements
in appearance and ease of use.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2014, 10:47 AM »
@IainB

I'm not meaning to dis anyone here but I have to admit I don't click on every link in any post.  No posted image(s) ...no interest.

:o  This newest MBAM version is totally different anyway so it's image may look out of place.
The Premium, Pro and Free all look the same with Premium having the most features and Free having the least.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Malwarbytes fails to start at Windows startup.
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2014, 02:58 AM »
Malwarbytes fails to start at Windows startup.
I had a bit of a panic attack today:
This is on a laptop under Win8.1-64 PRO.
I had been having a great deal of difficulty trying to install a large suite of software that just would not run nicely like it should. I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it, but all to no avail.
Then I saw that MBAM would not start after a system restart. The Windows Event Log said:
Fault offset: 0x0008d6fd
Faulting process ID: 0x11c0
Faulting application start time: 0x01cfcdfab61ab97f
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\MSVCR100.dll
Report ID: f5b39ad6-39ed-11e4-bf4a-008cfa3f089f
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

So I tried manually starting MBAM, but that failed, and so, imagining the worst, I promptly thought it might be a virus, especially after trying to reinstall MBAM and getting this kind of error every step of the way:
Internal error: Expression error 'Runtime Error (at 79:177):
External exception E06D7363.'

So I ran MBAM's Chameleon, and that alarmingly kept saying it was unable to start MBAM, throughout its 13-step process.

I calmed down a bit and did some DuckGo searching, finding nothing particularly useful at first. Then I searched MBAM discussion forums and eventually found a discussion where several people seemed to have had a similar problem: Mbam update on XP now wont start on 2 machines - Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Help - Malwarebytes Forum

The solution was this from MBAM Support:
27 December 2011, by Maurice Naggar.
Please folow this sequence for MBAM removal & re-install:
1) Go to Control Panel and Add-or-Remove programs.
      uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
      Exit Control Panel

2) Logoff and restart your computer
      Get, save, and then run the utility at the following link
      http://www.malwareby.../mbam-clean.exe

3) Logoff and restart your computer again.

4) Now, reinstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.
      You may download a fresh copy for the reinstall from the following link:
      http://malwarebytes....am-download.php

If you have MBAM PRO (have a license) you will need to reenter your ID and Key afterwards to get the Protection module enabled.

Worked a treat. I do not understand what the causal problem was, but MBAM support evidently knew.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2014, 07:45 AM »
Worked a treat. I do not understand what the causal problem was, but MBAM support evidently knew.

Glad you found out about the *Top Secret* mbam-clean utility.  Back in Feb my issue was reinserting ID/key.
Different MBAM Admin but similar steps.   :Thmbsup:

I guess there's a logical reason why some programs require a clean-up and some don't?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2014, 07:11 PM »
EDIT 2014-09-26: Just updated the OP to clarify an important difference in the PROs and CONs regarding real-time protection of MBAM, viz:
 - Real-time protection cannot be enabled in the $FREE version.
 - Real-time protection can be enabled in the $PAID (Premium) version.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A new UI for MBAM (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware) in the works
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2014, 09:23 PM »
Interesting post about an expected change to the MBM GUI:
A new UI for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware in the works | 404 Tech Support

As a relatively long-time user of MBAM, I personally feel that the GUI could well do with some of the improvements being suggested.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2014, 11:06 AM »
The main flaw I find in MBAM now is if I right click a file or folder to scan it and get the Database is out of Date, it doesn't resume the job after I update.  Either that or I don't know how to get it to.  So I've taken to running it, click update if it needs it, close it, right click yadda yadda.  That kind of kills off the convenience factor.  :)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just posting this as potentially useful information to others:

The Problem was with MBAM Premium/PRO:
  • After boot-up, the MBAM.exe process would permanently sit at a high (about 27%) CPU utilisation, even though it was not running a scan or anything. This was on a Toshiba Satellite L855D laptop, with 8GB RAM and AMD A8 Vision and Quad Core. OS is Win8.1-64 PRO.
  • Rebooting or tweaking the MBAM Dashboard/Settings seemed to have no effect, so stopping the process seemed to be the only way to stop the high CPU utilisation. Stopping it seemed to cause MBAM to return/respawn with 90% CPU utilisation.
  • Uninstalling and then reinstalling MBAM had no effect on this behaviour.
  • Stopping Chameleon seemed to have no effect either.

The Fix was:
After reading the MBAM User Forum and finding no post to help me in this, I decided that the best thing do do would probably be to use Malwarebytes' own MBAM Clean Removal Process.
Steps:
  • 1. Download the MBAM Cleaner tool - mbam-clean-2.1.1.1001.exe from here.
  • 2. Download the latest version of MBAM.
  • 3. Go offline (just in case).
  • 4. Execute the MBAM Cleaner tool. It will then Restart the PC. This also removes all logs, Registry entries, and other vestigial traces of MBAM.
  • 5. Execute the install for the latest version of MBAM (downloaded at Step 2). Untick the "Trial" selector.
  • 6. Enter your Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Consumer License ID and Key details.
  • 7. Go online.
  • 8. Set MBAM to update itself and its malware signature database.
  • 9. When the update in Step 8 has completed, set MBAM to do a Threat Scan. This clears the Dashboard warning message - because the Cleaner tool also removes all logs, Registry entries, and other vestigial traces of MBAM, it gives a persistent warning message that it has never done a scan on that PC).

After the scan has completed, MBAM will typically tend to sit at around 0.25% CPU utilisation, which is normal.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2015, 07:10 PM »
The main flaw I find in MBAM now is if I right click a file or folder to scan it and get the Database is out of Date, it doesn't resume the job after I update.  Either that or I don't know how to get it to.  So I've taken to running it, click update if it needs it, close it, right click yadda yadda.  That kind of kills off the convenience factor.  :)

I also had that problem at one point, but not any longer. It has "gone away". You will likely find that running the above FIX will restore MBAM to operating the way it should.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2015, 05:15 AM »
VERSION UPDATE to the Opening Post - 2015-02-03 (MBAM PRO/Premium is now v2.0.4.1028).

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2015, 03:03 AM »
As posted into the opening post:
UPDATE 2015-03-27: Release of version 2.1.4

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2015, 10:30 PM »
Update:
2015-05-12 - note re McAfee Stinger.(Refer: How it compares to similar products):
2015-05-12: Also see ghacks post about Stinger and a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) here - McAfee Stinger installs McAfee Validation Trust Protection Service

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Malwarebytes Mini-Review - UPDATE v2.x --> v3.x
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2017, 10:46 PM »
UPDATE 2017-02-02 1743hrs: Added to the OP:

UPDATE 2017-02-02: Release of version 3.0.6.1469 (with the "Awesome" screens...)
General notes re v3.x:
  • I have not had the time to exhaustively check this version out yet, having only just updated to v3.x
  • I would have updated a couple of weeks ago but was delayed because the v3.x updater could not seem to run standalone or automatically from the GUI update command (the installers kept crashing with the same obscure error). This went on for a couple of weeks, so I had to wait till I had the time to fix it.
  • I then used the latest version of the special MBAM uninstall software to force a clean uninstall of the v2.x, before running the v3.x installer. That seemed to work OK.
  • NB: Before uninstalling MBAM v2.x you need to Deactivate the licence.
    You then install the new version and Reactivate the licence.
    I found from experience that failure to understand this (it decrements/increments a counter in the licencing database at MBAM HQ), means that the user will exhaust the allotted number of key uses, and will have to file a request with MBAM support to get the licence revalidated. MBAM Support were very helpful.    :-[ 
  • An initial glitch in MBAM seems to be that v3 sometimes starts up from a cold boot with "Realtime protection disabled", when it had been enabled at setup time. Then the user cannot then enable it in the GUI (you press the button and it sits there thinking, but apparently doing nothing). The workaround I have for this is simply to close/terminate MBAM and then restart it. Not sure if the settings are always persistent for the next boot though.
  • This update otherwise looks like it has a few relatively minor changes/improvements, including to the GUI (again), which now exudes an irritatingly positive colloquial personality, telling the user that things are OK with the cliché "Awesome".     :huh: 
  • I intend to search up for an independent review of MBAM v3.x and post the link here.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2017, 09:57 PM »
Well, I haven't yet found a suitable independent review of MBAM v3.x to post here, but there is some interesting user feedback about MBAM v3.x coming from users in this forum (DCF). For example:
I don't see what that has to do with the heuristic scanning.

Wraith, I'm very sorry to hear about your horrendous experience with MB3, but I'm most grateful to you for posting about it.  You've saved me from moving to MB3 from MB2.  One very weird thing about your present experience is that apparently it's the heuristic scanning that is taking so long. In MB2, the heuristic scanning occurs at the end of the scan and takes VERY little time, perhaps a minute or so. 

My experience is that MBAM v3 seems to have become excessively RAM-intensive at times - e.g., taking up (accumulating) a lot of RAM whilst it is running the heuristic scan, and not letting go of it when done. Restarting it temporarily reduces the overhead. I feel sure that the developers would probably be aware of this inefficiency  (RAM being a finite resource) and would be working to resolve the problem it causes. We shall see.

As to the suggestion in the above quoted thread that MBAM might make it unnecessary to have a separate AV tool (e.g., such as Windows Defender, which is now bundled with MS Security Essentials AV), I would recommend users retain both - as a belts-and-braces approach, for the time being, at any rate.
I mean, there may be some surprises. For example, in terms of future developments, I have often wondered what MS might intend for the Malicious Software Removal Tool that they insert and run in successive Windows updates ... it seems to be rather good at what it does...    :o
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 10:09 PM by IainB »