topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:52 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: A windows mess in the task bar  (Read 10298 times)

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A windows mess in the task bar
« on: June 30, 2012, 05:17 PM »
A windows mess in the task bar

I have configured the "triple height" in my task bar under windows xp pro sp3 because usually I have to use multiples folders.
I use splendid scripts from DC that require that the Complete path be showed in the title window (Folder Options)
Obviosly I don't want to change from Windows Explorer to another soft because of the level of personalization I have.

I only would like to see better the titles of my windows in the task bar. Or apply some addon to change the color of some of them and to be stable.

What soft for Windows xp pro sp3 can do this ?

Best Regards

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: A windows mess in the task bar
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 05:32 PM »
1. One possibility is vary the width of the folder minimized to the task bar according to his text until a limit of characters.

Edited : this seems to be the best solution for me.
Vary the width of buttons in the taskbar. In the future I can put four heights in the taskbar.
 :P

« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 06:21 PM by Contro »

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 05:37 PM »
2. Put a copy or list of the folders in vertical more wide and selectable
 :-*

I have emerging folders menu from the task bar, but are not fast. I would prefer a vertical task bar dynamical with the list of open windows in the horizontal task bar.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 05:47 PM »
Edited: What happened to the beginning of my post???!!
I must try once more:
-------------------

First a question: Are all the PROYECT folders the same PROYECT folders every time?

If they are the same again and again, you will benefit greatly from using Quizo QTTabbar. Firstly, it gives tabs to your normal Explorer, so you only will need a single Explorer window. Secondly, QTTabbar can automatically rename ambiguous tabs for you (not rename the folders, of course, but the tabs). And thirdly, you can add these folders as favorites, so they always open in the same order, making it even more easy to remember which is which. Fourthly, you can add Groups, so you don't need to open all the various Favorite folders, when you don't need them.

If they are not the same folders again and again, QTTabbar will still be good, just less awesome.

2012-07-01_003751.gif

-------

And now you have posted some more, before I posted this. Well, I am not going to change my post anyway. In my opinion, QTTabbar is a better solution. I have been using it since Win 2000.

edit2: oh, yeah, a link: http://sourceforge.n...t/projects/qttabbar/  :-[
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 06:08 PM by Curt »

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 06:01 PM »
I use QTTabBar in the past.

I don't want tabs Curt.

I am looking for and many soft have many options.

I only need an auxiliary vertical taskbar identical to the horizontal task bar , but more wider to put more characters. I only need that.

It must existssssss !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best Regards

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 06:04 PM »
First a question: Are all the PROYECT folders the same PROYECT folders every time?

Yes. it's the same. But I would like to have all the folders in the cronological order I open in the task bar or in a vertical auxiliary taskbar together. All.

I have encountered one soft for colouring the buttons in the taskbar. i use some years ago and give me no result.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 06:11 PM »
I am very used to click in the horizontal bar. I am making proofs making the taskbar vertical.
The problem with the folders button is solved in vertical mode, but the quick launch buttons go upstairs.....
But may be a solution if not find other.....

:-\

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 06:14 PM »
It's terrible and desorientating all the icons in the lateral task bar.
And I would prefer the taskbar button of programs and folders from down to up.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 06:24 PM »
What I really need is a Trim function with the width of the buttons in the taskbar.
If the text is very short make short the button. And if the text is large adapt until a limit of characters.

The addon is very simple. Adapt the width of the buttons in the taskbar.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 06:49 PM »
A possible solution via windows registry Default Taskbar Button Width

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 06:52 PM »
a Famous page Kellys-Korner

Perhaps here is the answer i need....

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 07:11 PM »
The scripts from Kellys-Korner may be varied ?

I need the width ten characters more

The initial code is :

Option Explicit

Dim WSHShell, n, p, itemtype, MyBox

Set WSHShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
p = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics\"
p = p & "MinWidth"
itemtype = "REG_SZ"
n = "-2700"

WSHShell.RegWrite p, n, itemtype

MyBox = MsgBox("You must reboot for the changes to take effect.", vbOKOnly,"Done")

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 07:59 PM »
I risk and vary (after make a backup of the registry and a restore point) the value n="-2700" to "-3100"

And add one more line in high for the taskbar.

This is the final result :

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 04:07 AM »
I like nice long buttons where I can easily read the text. I have no issues with the buttons being too short to read them on my taskbar.  ;)

This is one of the many benefits of having your taskbar on the side and extending it as far as it will go, and putting it on autohide.

The first 2 screenshots in my post here will show you how I have it: https://www.donation....msg238489#msg238489

Yes, I am running XP with classic theme there, but you can do it in Win7 as well, and with aero, or whatever crap they have for themes now. And it is easy to do...just unlock your taskbar and drag it to the side and stretch it. (I don't lock mine because I like the little bands that separate each toolbar, and they disappear if you lock the taskbar)

The only time my buttons get shortened is when I have a ton of open windows, enough to fill all the space on the taskbar, resulting in Windows making 2 columns of them, at which point they become about half the length, which is still pretty wide compared to what you have now.

It will take a little getting used to but once you do, you may never go back to that sliver of a taskbar at the bottom of the screen. I have had my taskbar like this for the last 13 years, ever since my first PC was given to me with it preconfigured that way, back in the Win98 days.

But be careful...if you get too used to it, it will make using another OS very uncomfortable. I have issues with Ubuntu because I can't take my Windows taskbar with me.  :(

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 04:13 AM »
I like nice long buttons where I can easily read the text. I have no issues with the buttons being too short to read them on my taskbar.  ;)

This is one of the many benefits of having your taskbar on the side and extending it as far as it will go, and putting it on autohide.

The first 2 screenshots in my post here will show you how I have it: https://www.donation....msg238489#msg238489

Yes, I am running XP with classic theme there, but you can do it in Win7 as well, and with aero, or whatever crap they have for themes now. And it is easy to do...just unlock your taskbar and drag it to the side and stretch it. (I don't lock mine because I like the little bands that separate each toolbar, and they disappear if you lock the taskbar)

The only time my buttons get shortened is when I have a ton of open windows, enough to fill all the space on the taskbar, resulting in Windows making 2 columns of them, at which point they become about half the length, which is still pretty wide compared to what you have now.

It will take a little getting used to but once you do, you may never go back to that sliver of a taskbar at the bottom of the screen. I have had my taskbar like this for the last 13 years, ever since my first PC was given to me with it preconfigured that way, back in the Win98 days.

But be careful...if you get too used to it, it will make using another OS very uncomfortable. I have issues with Ubuntu because I can't take my Windows taskbar with me.  :(

I try Ubuntu some years ago. a nice operating system indeed. But almost the professional software I need is for Windows.
Windows xp is my trauma. But at the present moment - under a great effort and big help from this forum - i feel almost comfortable.

At the present moment I have no intentions of migrating to windows 8. i will remain all time possible with xp. I am preparing the virtual machines for maintain configurations and old software.

Best Regards.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 04:14 AM »
Perhaps my next pc will have 1024 GB of RAM memory with Windows 10 running virtual machines under windows xp pro

;D

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 06:02 AM »
@Contro, you might want to re-study App103's post

Yes, I am running XP with classic theme there, (...) ...just unlock your taskbar and drag it to the side and stretch it.

-and there is more.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 09:20 AM »
@Contro, you might want to re-study App103's post

Yes, I am running XP with classic theme there, (...) ...just unlock your taskbar and drag it to the side and stretch it.

-and there is more.

Running Curt. Best Regards

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2012, 09:39 AM »

;D ;D
It's very difficult to say what method is the best because goes with the psichology of the user.

I can't with the right taskbar. I am very used to this one. But I use Launchy, classical button menus and rarely the start button.
And multiple docks and menus hidden that appear with shortcuts like Win+6 and so on.

The most best idea is change the wall paper every time at your likings.

and the boss key F12 to hide and mute everything you are doing.