topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Aml Pages v9.35 - FREE offer on GOTD  (Read 4788 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Aml Pages v9.35 - FREE offer on GOTD
« on: June 05, 2012, 06:27 AM »
I am always interested in PIMs (Personal Information Managers), so my thanks to @rjbull for the heads-up to this when it was previously a BDJ offer. I have just downloaded and installed Aml Pages Notes Organiser from: Giveaway of the Day - Aml Pages 9.35
(My system is Win7-64 Home Premium on a laptop with an Intel i7 CPU.)

Re: General brainstorming for Note-taking software
Just when you thought this thread was safely dead, jumps up again.  There's yet another one that doesn't seem to have been mentioned on DC: Aml Pages.
Aml Pages is tree-structured notes organizer for Windows. It contains all your notes, information, web pages, passwords, URL-address in the form of a tree, so you can quickly find what you need. The Aml Pages can easily save web pages (or fragments) from the Internet and provides a sticky for quick notes. Manage megatons of your notes with ease at work and at home.
Support plain text, rich text and web pages, tables and figures, attachments, and many plug-ins for expansion features. At any moment you can instantly record the important information in a sticky note, not looking up from the important cases.
Aml Pages allows you to store absolutely any information in its database: texts, images, screenshots, files, URLs and etc. Moreover, you can store both links to files and files themselves.

Found from a Bits du Jour e-mail about a future promotion of it: Bits du Jour - Aml Pages Home License.
I don't know how it's considered better/different than the multitude of similar programs, and have asked in the Bits promotion.  I also asked about import/export, tired of being locked into proprietary formats.

My view so far:
I had given this PIM a cursory trial a year or so ago, and discarded it as not yet ready for primetime.
This version looks like it could be a very interesting and potentially useful PIM - if it worked. It uses proprietary and third-party (user) Plug-ins - which is unusual for a PIM, in my experience.
However, in use, it seems rather unintuitive (to me), and it is rather buggy - for example, these kept occurring:
Aml Pages Notes Manager - error 30010.png Aml Pages Notes Manager - fatal error.png

Maybe it has a conflict with some other installed process. I don't know. I shall keep it and await updates (updates will apparently be good for about 12 months with this GOTD offer). I'll probably not spend any more time on it otherwise.
I would be interested in reading any other thoughts from trial of this PIM by DCF members though.
There's a good FAQ on it here: http://www.amlpages.com/faq.shtml
Features/benefits here: http://www.amlpages.com/about.shtml
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 10:56 AM by IainB, Reason: Minor corrections. »

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Aml Pages v9.35 - FREE offer on GOTD
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 09:54 AM »
Fan of PIMs too, recently reviewed it on my site. I didn't see those errors. Either way, another option to consider for note taking.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 11:01 AM »
Thanks @rgdot - interesting review.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 11:43 AM »
 :)

I like the bookmarks feature, it's probably ("probably" because it's not something I always use) more effective than search for future reference

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 03:29 PM »
I haven't seen IainB's error either, but AML Pages hasn't so far grabbed me.  It has a couple of features I haven't noticed elsewhere (not saying they don't exist...): it has the ability to paste a Web clip either as-is (more or less, as usual), or as HTML code.  That might be nice if you want to extract links and things to reformat for a DC forum post, for example.  And, it can output trees to .CHM format.

The author's native language clearly isn't English, and I don't think the clumsy translation is doing him any favours.  I have to admit I don't speak any language other than English, and respect the attempts of non-native speakers of English.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 02:55 PM »
Available on Bits du Jour today, 2012-06-13, at 50% off, meaning you pay $14.50.