topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 10:07 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: In search of ... forum software suggestions  (Read 2563 times)

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
In search of ... forum software suggestions
« on: May 05, 2012, 10:06 AM »
Folk, my sailor is thinking about implementing a sailing forum.  Ouch :'(!

Last forum software I implemented was phpBB(?) several years ago.  I do not recall that being a particularly pleasant experience  :o, although the unpleasantness may have been due to the commissioner, not the software.

So, what would you suggest for such a task?  Needs to be low maintenance, novice friendly, reasonably (?!?) capable.  I'll be installing it, but an office admin will be doing day-to-day maintenance as required.

(Personally, I like the look of this forum ( :Thmbsup:), but I've gathered (incorrectly?) that it is relatively high maintenance.)

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: In search of ... forum software suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 11:27 AM »
My current preference is MyBB (mybb.com). I would strongly consider bbPress (bbpress.org) but that is not in the same class as SMF, phpBB, MyBB, etc because it doesn't look the same and is more bare bones type.

As far as high maintenance goes, it depends mainly on modifications that may be necessary or become necessary over time. Spam control is another issue but there are ways to minimize and manage spam.