topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Which Social Media Program do you use? (e.g. Tweetdeck)  (Read 9556 times)

noblejoker

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Father & Husband, Biz Owner, PC user & Blogger,
    • View Profile
    • My PC USers Group - Posts & Discussions
    • Donate to Member
I have tried lots of programs that 'aggregate' my social media status etc
Specifically I use multiple twitter accounts and Facebook
Was a fan of Tweetdeck and still use the last Air version before they were acquired by Twitter
The new Twitter version is the same as their web app and isn't as good
One specific functionality I like is to be able to order the status by time so I can see the oldest to newest and then mark them read as I go
Don't want to miss anything you know!
No other desktop or web app has this functionality afaik
So I am curious what the knowledgeable users here utilise
And maybe plant a seed for someone to pick up the design ideas from (original) Tweetdeck and build a new program that improves on it rather than waters it down
From my web research I can see lots of people like me who are searching and might pay for a new program (hint hint)
Cheers from downunder
Matt from Australia

Daleus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Which Social Media Program do you use? (e.g. Tweetdeck)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 07:15 AM »
I am still using the original Air based TweetDeck. I upgraded to a new computer just after the product was bought out by Twitter and got stuck with the new TweetDeck app, which is about as close to a tragedy you can get in comparision.

I tried a BUNCH of other clients - Sobees and Seesmic came close to doing the job - but none of them did as good a job as Air TweetDeck.  I can't seem to find the Air installation program for the last Air release of TweetDeck, so when at home, I'm now stuck to using two computers at the same time, if I want to Tweet - my laptop still has the old TweetDeck installed.

I'm, no programmer, but I'd certainly support someone's effort to rebuild the original TweetDeck or to build a client with the same look and feel.  If you are familiar with the Air version, compare it to Sobees and Seesmic to see how you can get close and then totally fark it up with inscrutible interface design.

If fact, that's the major problem with almost all Twitter clients out there.  They are made by people who haven't got an effing clue about interface design. I think they saw how perfect TweetDeck was and decided the only way they could compete was with a different look and feel.

They were horribly wrong.

Twitter is the only social site for which I use an app.  I'm on Google+ regularly, but their web interface is quite good.  I also have a Facebook account, but only use that to stay in touch with friends who only use Facebook.  When the next ice age comes, I will ensure they are sent to the leading edge of the glacier to stand there and hold it back - neanderthals that they are.

I use several others, but that might take the track of this discussion too far afield.

Daleus, Curmudgeon-at-Large

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 04:02 PM »
When did people start to think they need separate applications for "social media"?

Although I admit I've been using Twitter clients for years (currently: MetroTwit on Windows, TweetCaster on Android, Turpial on Linux), I can't see the point in installing Facebook applications... (the fact that I don't use Facebook aside.)

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 05:42 PM »
I have been using the twitter default interface but with the latest redesign I have a problem.
I'd organised a lot of people in lists, and it used to be very easy to browse one list after another straight from the main twitter page. Now it is hidden and time consuming and I either need a list friendly client, or to move all the people in the lists onto my main friends/follow list.

Anyone know a client that is good for lists?

noblejoker

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Father & Husband, Biz Owner, PC user & Blogger,
    • View Profile
    • My PC USers Group - Posts & Discussions
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 07:03 AM »
I am still using the original Air based TweetDeck. I tried a BUNCH of other clients - Sobees and Seesmic came close to doing the job - but none of them did as good a job as Air TweetDeck.  I can't seem to find the Air installation program for the last Air release of TweetDeck,

Exactly the same boat my friend. Tried Sobees and Seesmic etc. Interface is not superior in anyway. no web interface comes close. Can't believe there isn't a better option available. Was hoping someone knew one.
I can help you with the Air Tweetdeck though
The last version was 0.38.2
here's one link but google has a few
http://www.oldapps.c...p?old_tweetdeck=7149

I understand that if you don't use Facebook AND Twitter then some of these elements may not be an issue for you
There would seem to be some nifty Twitter only clients
Much fewer FB clients that achieve these results e.g. TD allows me to see status updates and photo updates in a column but without all the dross that infects timelines like game scores and random likes etc.
It is like FB distilled down to a Twitter like form of just genuine user messages via status updates
If you don't use FB or you like to play Farmville (etc) then this won't matter to you I guess

Anyway always keen to try new programs so if anyone finds something give me a shout :)
Matt from Australia
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 08:22 PM by noblejoker »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 04:12 PM »
For Twitter I use the Silver Bird extension for Chrome.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 03:46 AM »
MetroTwit has had a new release in v1.0! with several new features, it's worth looking into.

http://www.addictive...-undo-tweet-options/

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 07:59 AM »
Considering that 1.0.0.2 is already out, I'd recommend the beta version ("Loop") which introduces new features every now and then and fixes bugs almost daily. Been doing that since they added the public beta system and have not regretted it yet.

jshare

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • JobMob
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 02:39 AM »
MetroTwit has had a new release in v1.0! with several new features, it's worth looking into.

So I did.

Has a nice UI. One showstopper is the lack of Twitter Lists, which I use heavily. The other showstopper is the massive RAM footprint, which Process Explorer clocked in at 484MB while Air-based TweetDeck hovers around 122MB.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 02:52 AM »
One showstopper is the lack of Twitter Lists, which I use heavily.
There is a large "Twitter Lists" button.

ssoundman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 10:50 PM »
Thanks, Noblejoker! I appreciate the link.

Yes, it certainly IS different than the newer version I had installed.  :Thmbsup: