topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 12:19 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Found an Office Ribbon UI Editor  (Read 7577 times)

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Found an Office Ribbon UI Editor
« on: March 06, 2012, 10:29 AM »

I came across an Office Ribbon Editor I haven't seen discussed here yet.  Or mentioned after a couple of searches.

Simply called Office Ribbon Editor by LeafCreations

Short quote from the main page:
About Office Ribbon Editor

Office Ribbon Editor's main focus is on editing the RibbonUI for Excel, Word, and PowerPoint. The reason behind this decision lies on the fact that the ribbonUI is managed with XML. Office Ribbon Editor is a feature rich application that includes such features as:

Creating Office 2007 and 2010 documents without the requirement of having Office actually installed.
    Syntax highlighting and Autocomplete capability.
    Access to all Office 2007 and 2010 features from the ribbon to the new Backstage feature found in Office 2010.

Since there's been a few discussions here about the MS Ribbon it might be of interest.
I am mostly still in the dark ages and using Office 2003 so I haven't tried it.

Standard disclaimer... I am not affiliated with the program or developer in any way.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Found an Office Ribbon UI Editor
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 01:56 AM »
-interesting find, bob99  :up:

Useful link to understand the program:

How-To tutorial: "How to Create Office 2007 Ribbon UI with Office 2007 Ribbon Editor": http://www.fanhow.co...bbon_Editor_52519077

The man is a Microsoft developer:

Why develop Office Ribbon Editor?

As a Microsoft developer, I was faced with new challenges when Microsoft introduced the new Ribbon UI in their Office 2007 suite. In the beginning, I was excited with the possibilities, but I quickly became overwhelmed with the amount of work that was required to get a ribbon up and running.

I was extremely thankful when I came across the OpenXMLDeveloper's web site and discovered their tool. Coding became easier, but I soon found myself yelling at the editing tool! This is when Office Ribbon Editor was born. My application is based on OpenXMLDeveloper'sCustomUI Editor.

My goal in developing Office Ribbon Editor was to:
Correct issues or failures I found to be annoying.
Introduce a better coding environment with helpful tools
-Peter Leaf

>screenshots<

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 05:06 AM »
I am using 2003 so not useful for me. But I would like to know what we can do with it on ribbon interface. Any screenshot from experiments (not official)?

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 11:43 AM »
Thanks Curt.  Hope it's of help.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 03:03 PM »
This is a little tangential, but In Office 2010 they have "Customize the Ribbon" which (gasp) changes the Ribbon MetaGame for me. My chief complaint against the static ribbon was where they jammed features, which simply wasn't where the muscle memory wanted to go.

But if you can design your OWN ribbon for any app, then I LIKE the ribbon! Because it does in fact reduce clicks to instantly pick *either* of Paste Special Values or Paste Special Formats. Both are way faster than RClick/Paste/Special/____.

But the last secret sauce is get Excel (for example) to "Show ALL features." There's half deprecated features still buried in the code.

leafcreations

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 09:18 AM »
Hi,

It is great to see people talking and interested in my application. Just to clarify, I am not a developer for Microsoft. I develop using Microsoft products. I started with 2003 and now use 2007 and 2010.

I can see the confusion in my text, I should change it :huh:.

Thanks again for the props!

The man is a Microsoft developer:

Why develop Office Ribbon Editor?

As a Microsoft developer, I was faced with new challenges when Microsoft introduced the new Ribbon UI in their Office 2007 suite. In the beginning, I was excited with the possibilities, but I quickly became overwhelmed with the amount of work that was required to get a ribbon up and running.

I was extremely thankful when I came across the OpenXMLDeveloper's web site and discovered their tool. Coding became easier, but I soon found myself yelling at the editing tool! This is when Office Ribbon Editor was born. My application is based on OpenXMLDeveloper'sCustomUI Editor.

My goal in developing Office Ribbon Editor was to:
Correct issues or failures I found to be annoying.
Introduce a better coding environment with helpful tools
-Peter Leaf

>screenshots<

[/quote]

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 11:19 AM »
-welcome here, leafcreations

and Good Luck with the version 4.5 Portable development  :up:

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 04:01 PM »
interesting, although I think ribbons will become obsolete in future Office versions

leafcreations

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 06:35 PM »
From things I have seen, the ribbon is still in Office under windows 8 and the metro style.  :)