topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 9:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Why 24-bit/192kHz music files make no sense - and may be bad for you!  (Read 63996 times)

Joe Hone

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
OT but it fits with some of the discussion
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2021, 05:51 PM »
I worked for 14 years producing albums and visiting various highly regarded major studios in and around Los Angeles. What I found intriguing was the $.29 cent Radio Shack cables being used to connect many of the mixing board components (patch between talkback amp and speakers, preamp and eq, or compressor, or . . .) to each other. Then I would fall into the world of audiophiles and read about $40,000 for a single channel of preamp or amplifier. So, the rich audiophile was spending tens of thousands of dollars to playback the sound produced by $.29 cent cables. Unreal. 

Campaigner8

• Participant
  • Joined in 2021
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Why 24-bit/192kHz music files make no sense - and may be bad for you!
« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2021, 04:05 AM »
I agree more than half of all albums are slapped together as inexpensively as possible. I have been in the music industry in Canada, seeing both the good and the bad.
So bad that the sound engineer and person who mastered the album was 70% deaf. As a result, he would crank the volume into the red and the bass as thumpy
as a thousand bass guitarists playing simultaneously. The album was so poorly recorded that it made my $14,000 B & W speakers clip.

I switched recording companies, and they were precisely the opposite. They had almost $400,000 of recording equipment in their studio. Their interconnects were over $600 each. Their albums made my semi-high-end system sing. I've spent only $34,000 on my entire system. Unless you are worth a literal fortune, trust me when I say that my system would satisfy 97% of all people. In my experience, the 24 bit/192 kHz high-resolution downloads sound a world better than a CD, for example. I listen to a lot of jazz from 1940 to 1970. That is when music was all analog and recorded correctly. That is my experience anyway.