topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:35 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Foxit Reader (fast pdf reader alternative)  (Read 27920 times)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Foxit Reader (fast pdf reader alternative)
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2006, 08:52 AM »
Regarding PDF Speedup, there's a another freeware app out there called Adobe Reader Speed-Up, which I always had good luck with. It can be found here: http://www.tnk-bootblock.co.uk/prods/misc/index.php. Note, though, that I no longer have Adobe Reader installed, having made the switch to Fox-It. Given the fact that AR 7 installs its own launcher speed up service (can't remember the name of it), I'm not sure how much of a difference these utilities will make (NOTE: I've never used either of them with AR 7 for the reasons outlined above). I do note, though, that the authors of each claim that their solutions do speedup AR 7 launches nonetheless...

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2006, 08:56 AM »
Given the fact that AR 7 installs its own launcher speed up service (can't remember the name of it), I'm not sure how much of a difference these utilities will make (NOTE: I've never used either of them with AR 7 for the reasons outlined above). I do note, though, that the authors of each claim that their solutions do speedup AR 7 launches nonetheless...
Afaik AR's own speedup service is just the usual "precache" business. The other utilities remove/disable plugins that then won't be loaded at all... I did this manually with AR6, and it had some tremendous positive effects. I've always been against the "precache" things btw...
- carpe noctem

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2006, 10:36 AM »
I agree with you about precaching - Adobe's service is one of the reasons I gave up on AR 7. No matter how many times I disabled it, it just kept coming back, like the Energizer bunny! The other reason, had to do with using AR 7 as the default in-line reader is both Firefox and Maxthon and its instability. Foxit is much more stable in my usage.

With reference to Adobe precaching, I DID find, that with the service running load times were very quick, hence my decision to ditch AR Speed-up. You're right, though, in that the two approaches are very different.