topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 4:03 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: a light-weight alternative to Print Shop Deluxe?  (Read 15409 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
a light-weight alternative to Print Shop Deluxe?
« on: March 28, 2006, 08:54 PM »
hi all,

i used to have an old copy of Print Shop Deluxe which i enjoyed very much. however, i'm having some problems with the new printer i bought recently so had a look at the newer version but didn't feel like spending so much...

therefore, i was wondering if there is a light-weight alternative to Print Shop Deluxe? I am open to suggestions... preferably, the app should be targeted at a medium to casual user with not too much hand-holding. ;)

AbteriX

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: a light-weight alternative to Print Shop Deluxe?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 12:33 AM »
hi all,
... preferably, the app should be targeted at a medium to casual user with not too much hand-holding. ;)
So you need wizards and such? Sorry, i can`t get familiar with this helpers.
I use CorelDraw! for such projects. Even the version 7 (5-10€ @eBay) is good enought
and you get an good graphic editor too (PhotoPaint).

A freeware non-wizard tool is e.g. OpenOffices Draw.

"Print Shop Deluxe" or such i see often on magazin -cd's for 5-9€

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 12:51 AM »
I use CorelDraw! for such projects. Even the version 7 (5-10€ @eBay) is good enought and you get an good graphic editor too (PhotoPaint).

A freeware non-wizard tool is e.g. OpenOffices Draw.

"Print Shop Deluxe" or such i see often on magazin -cd's for 5-9€

I didn't had a look at CorelDraw! previously because Corel looks like an overkill. Basically what i want to do is just create flyers, banners and some greeting cards... OpenOffice's Draw comes in a suite so that is certainly not in the light-weight category. ;)

maybe i'll just have wade thru' bargain-bins to find a cheaper, less than new version of PSD...

tks anyway, AbteriX

AbteriX

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 01:17 AM »
You didn't answered if you need the help o f the "wizards" ?

If not and you look for an less in size and price app for vector drawing
i could bring your attention to ZoneDraw where the v3 (8,8 MB, from 2001) is free after registration.

See http://www.zoner.com/download/ and scroll down or http://www.zoner.com...oad2.asp?ProductID=1

---
Description => http://www.freewaref...ogram_3_36_1024.html

Picture => http://www.freewaref...creenshot/zoner3.gif

Fun with Text => http://graphicssoft..../uc/ucpm_zd4text.htm

Tuts => http://www.ayeone.com/zoner_draw.htm AND http://www.ayeone.com/zoner_draw_2.htm

Description
Zoner Draw 3 is a graphics editor,
primarily designed to create powerful leaflets,
illustrations for documents, business cards,
 price tags, letterheads, postcards, signs,
blueprints, greeting cards, and more.
Read more...
It offers all the standard graphics tools,
including stars and polygons, anti-aliasing and more,
 as well as, Object blending, Transparency,

Integrated scanning tool, Bitmap editing
functions and support for Adobe plug-ins.

Details and requirements

Size: 8850 Kb
Price: $ 0.00
Operating System: Win95,Win98,WinME,WinNT 4.x,Windows2000
License: Freeware
Category: Multimedia & Design : Illustration
Submitted on: 14-Sep-2004
Submitted by: ZONER software

Deutsche Beschreibung
Zoner Draw ist ein klasse Grafikprogramm, mit dem man Visitenkarten, CD-Labels, Postkarten, oder sonstige mit Grafiken untermalte Dokumente anfertigen kann. Zoner Draw unterscheidet sich von dem Großteil der Freeware dieser Art. Die Qualität ist beeindruckend. Sicherlich auch anders schwer vorstellbar, da dieses Produkt vor einiger Zeit noch kommerziell war, bzw. die Version 4 es noch ist. Man findet rund herum um das Programmfenster Werkzeugleisten. Zoner Draw bietet eine ausgewogene Mischung aus Textverarbeitung und Grafikprogramm. Einige Vorlagen für Vistenkarten, usw. sind direkt integriert. Cliparts findet man ebenso. Zudem werden wichtige Grafikformate, wie WMF, DXF, ZBR, PCX, TIF, WPG, MAC, TGA, ICO, BMP, JPG, PNG, BMI und HPGL beim Import unterstützt. Zoner Draw ermöglicht sogar das Bearbeiten von 2,5 Meter x 2,5 Meter großen Dokumenten. Damit wird wohl keiner vorzeitig an seine Grenzen stoßen. Auch bei der Gestaltung sind kaum Grenzen gesetzt. Es bieten sich zahlreiche Gelegenheiten die Dokumente mit farbigen Objekten, grafischem Text aufzupeppen. Einfaches DTP für Hobby- Grafiker. Hinweis: Beim Download müssen Sie Ihren Namen und Ihre eMail-Adresse angeben. Sie erhalten anschließend eine eMail von Zoner Inc. mit einem Link zur Registrierungsseite. Die Registrierung ist kostenlos muß aber durchgeführt werden damit das Programm als Vollversion funktioniert.
Homepage
Version: 3   Download-Rang:    Lizenz: Freeware   System: Windows   Sprache: Multilingual inkl. deutsch   OS: Windows   Größe: 8.69 MB   Eingetragen am: 14.10.2002

Note for travelers: Only need to install it ones, then you can copy it on your USB-Stick.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 03:56 AM by AbteriX »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 02:39 AM »
You didn't answered if you need the help o f the "wizards" ?

actually, i don't need wizards that much... but i'll have a look at ZonerDraw and let you know...

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 11:03 AM »
hi all,

i used to have an old copy of Print Shop Deluxe which i enjoyed very much. however, i'm having some problems with the new printer i bought recently so had a look at the newer version but didn't feel like spending so much...

therefore, i was wondering if there is a light-weight alternative to Print Shop Deluxe? I am open to suggestions... preferably, the app should be targeted at a medium to casual user with not too much hand-holding. ;)

I have a similar problem - I have Printshop Premier Deluxe V5.

But for some unknown reason, it takes forever to print some pictures. So I'm also looking for an alternative to Print Shop, preferably a freeware software.

Some wizards would be nice of course.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 08:22 PM »
You might want to try Serif PagePlus SE. It's very popular and has gotten a lot of good press over the years. It's free for the download. The publisher has provided tutorials with the software to get you going with minimal fuss.

The website also has a collection of free design templates if you're pushed for time or looking for inspiration.

There's also a version of PagePlus with some additional features available for about $10. Most people find the free edition more than adequate. My Mom's retirement club uses the free edition for everything.

Main link: http://www.freeserif...m/software/pageplus/

Feature page: http://www.freeserif...lus/key_features.asp

Note: Serif also has free versions of its drawing, photo edit, web, 3D, and panorama software available. If you like PagePlus, why not check out the rest of the Plus SE series while you're there? :Thmbsup:

« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 08:29 PM by 40hz »

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 11:20 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion 40hz.

I guess if your mom's retirement club uses the free edition for everything, it is as good an endorsement any software can get for ease of use. Just like the Good Housekeeping seal of approval.

I gave it a 5 minute test and the user interface looks friendly enough.

Thanks once again. Another problem solved by the great donationcoder community.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 06:57 AM »
A little late to the party but this is on Giveaway of the Day today, September 20th 2009.

Easy Flyer Creator - A Desktop Publishing Software that help you
 Design Create Print Flyers, Brochures, Leaflets, Certificates, Photo Frames,
 Tickets, Door hangers from templates in just 5 minutes!

Worth a look since it's free