topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 6:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Idea: Limit Internet Bandwidth  (Read 5736 times)

vinayakjoshi

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Idea: Limit Internet Bandwidth
« on: August 30, 2011, 08:07 AM »
Hi

I have a seven year old son who hogs all the bandwidth at our home WIFI network playing games and makes browsing for others absolutely miserable. We have a WIFI router connected to the broadband connection. I understand there are several options if one routes the internet connections through a server, however since the setup is at home, all of us connect to the router.

It would be great if a software be developed that limits the bandwidth on his computer to say 100kbps so that others also get some bandwidth for their use. :-)

I have tried netlimiter but it advertises its presence by pop-ups and a tray icon and my son is smart enough to catch and remove this.

However I can easily install and include the program in his startup files and he will not notice.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Vinayak

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Idea: Limit Internet Bandwidth
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 08:09 AM »
Does your WiFi router have any sort of traffic shaping options on it?  Depending on the brand, it may be called QoS (Quality of Service) as well.

vinayakjoshi

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 08:13 AM »
Does your WiFi router have any sort of traffic shaping options on it?  Depending on the brand, it may be called QoS (Quality of Service) as well.

It does, but they are IP address driven (I think). And our IP addresses keep on changing depending upon the order in which we connect our devices to the router.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 08:22 AM »
our IP addresses keep on changing depending upon the order in which we connect our devices to the router.

Check your router for a static DHCP option.  This will allow you to assign static IPs to your devices via each of your network card's MAC addresses.

vinayakjoshi

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 12:25 AM »
Check your router for a static DHCP option.  This will allow you to assign static IPs to your devices via each of your network card's MAC addresses.
Ok, and then what should I do next?

lotusrootstarch

• Joined in 2009
  • People reckon I'll smash into Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 01:00 AM »
QOS or Static IP will not fix, or even alleviate your problems... they are irrelevant in this scenario. Things like BitTorrent, eMule, or even multi-threaded http downloads do not give a shit whether you have QOS or not.

"Per user/ip/mac bandwidth limit" function is what you need but it is rarely implemented on stock firmware for consumer-grade routers/gateways.

I suggest that you get a DD-WRT/Tomato compatible router from somewhere like eBay and flash the stock firmware with the "Third-Party" firmware.

No offence but be warned you'll need to a little bit geeky to do the above, forget it if your son knows more about wireless routers than you do.
Get my apps in Android Market! Go droids go! :)

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 01:06 AM by lotusrootstarch »

vinayakjoshi

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 01:39 AM »
I suggest that you get a DD-WRT/Tomato compatible router from somewhere like eBay and flash the stock firmware with the "Third-Party" firmware.
-lotusrootstarch (August 31, 2011, 01:00 AM)
Thanks, but I was hoping there would be a software solution. Maybe something like an autohotkey script that changes the Windows settings so that the bandwidth used is only upto a certain speed. Is that possible at all? Doesn't the Windows OS give any way to control the bandwidth at all?

lotusrootstarch

• Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 01:50 AM »
Possible. But it'd be too easy to bypass, and too complicated to enforce/monitor. A simple system restore point might defeat all your efforts in minutes, and that probably does not even take him to ask around. :P

No point even try it that's what I'm saying.

lotusrootstarch

• Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 02:00 AM »
Search for "tomato router" on ebay...