topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Samsung Galaxy tablet ... work for scripting?  (Read 3607 times)

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Samsung Galaxy tablet ... work for scripting?
« on: August 22, 2011, 08:02 PM »
Folk,

I'm trying to find out if the Samsung Galaxy tablet(s), prolly the 10.1, can handle PHP scripting to a MySQL - or other, of course - database.  There's a lot of discussion 'bout what the Samsungs can do, but I've not found anything along these lines.

Point here is to be able to demo stuff on the fly, perhaps make script adjustments on location.  Yah, that can be done on a laptop, but the weight differential is significant, donchano, and there would be a certain impressiveness engendered.

The database would not have to be MySQL, any database that could be addressed via PHP/HTML/JavaScript code would suffice, as the point would be to make script adjustments, not copy database schemas or content.

Guess you could call it a [very] basic troubleshooting system/platform/tool  ;).

[Edit:  sorry, typos]

I'm assuming that someone here has already explored this avenue, and I'd very much like to benefit from the experiences gleaned.  What can I say ... I'm lazy  :P.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Samsung Galaxy tablet ... work for scripting?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 08:25 PM »
I may have misunderstood but isn't PHP normally used for server side scripting?

Or are you wanting to try and run a server on a Galaxy?

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Samsung Galaxy tablet ... work for scripting?
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 09:28 PM »
I may have misunderstood but isn't PHP normally used for server side scripting?

Or are you wanting to try and run a server on a Galaxy?

Please accept my apologies ... I made assumptions  :(.

Yeah, stated more succinctly, I do want to run a server on a Galaxy.  If it's going to replace my laptop - I kinda hope - that would be a requirement.  Doesn't have to be Apache/MySQL, just something equivalent.  Footprint will be an issue, I know, but it's conceivable that some of this could be physically housed on a USB device.  Of course, that assumes the tablet would have the ability - the horsepower, as it were - to run whatever is used.  That's an area where I've not been able to get a lot of info, hence this thread.

However, nothing I've researched says, one way or the other, whether that is feasible ... or even possible.  I'm not intending to make it a storage device, per se, just have enough space for demos.  Kinda like I do right now with one (1) of the laptops.  Just a demonstration vehicle, with enough room to make quick script adjustments.  Won't break my heart if it's not possible, but would kill a lot of the impetus to get a tablet.  I want a workhorse - workpony? - not a browser/music player/facebook/twitter tool  ;).