topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: software for colorblind  (Read 4201 times)

momonan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
software for colorblind
« on: March 13, 2006, 08:58 AM »
Looks like something interesting has been developed to help people with colorblindness distinguish colors in charts, etc.

http://www.colorhelper.com

Here's their description:

EyePilot Color Guide Software is an easy to use, interactive software program that enables you to work more effectively with color information. Using eyePilot, you can better understand and work with a wide range of color-dependent web sites, documents, graphics and computer applications.  eyePilot helps to end confusion around the use of color graphics such as pie charts, maps, web links and data plots.

eyePilot is designed as an interactive floating window (Capture Window) that can be layered over any web or browser window on your computer screen. The eyePilot tools then can be put to work.

Gray: Isolates all instances of a single color by keeping everything that is that color unchanged and graying out all other colors.  This makes it very clear which content is represented by a specific color.
Uses:
     weather maps
     financial charts
     subway maps
     cell phone coverage maps

Flash: When any spot of one color is clicked on, this tool flashes as white or black all other instances of that color in the frame.
Uses:
     pie charts
     bar charts
     weather maps
     flow charts

Name: When the name of a color (red, green, orange, etc.) is clicked on in a list, this tool flashes as white or black all instances of that color in the frame.
Uses:
     traffic maps
     catalog illustrations
     graphic arts

Hue: This tool interactively the rearranges all the colors in the capture frame, allowing you to find a setting where the color information is more easily differentiated.
Uses:
     colored text
     complex maps
     scatter charts
     engineering drawings
When you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning - Catherine Aird

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: software for colorblind
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 11:16 PM »
Here's the best color blindness test I could find: Right Heah

Click "Begin" to start the test, and click the "Next" links to continue. There are 24 plates.

Personally, I can easily make out plates 1 and 24 only.... I can make out the lines/numbers (red is easier) in plates 16, 17, and 18.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 11:18 PM by Hirudin »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 11:29 PM »
Hooray, I was able to easily see all that I should have been able to.

jdd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 10:45 AM »
What a fantastic idea for a software product!  Thanks, momonan.   Most people don't realize how difficult it is for some of us to distinguish colors.  I am definitely going to give eyePilot a try.

jdd