topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 11:45 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Outpost Security Suite PRO for FREE!  (Read 5618 times)

Bionic71

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Outpost Security Suite PRO for FREE!
« on: July 29, 2011, 07:21 PM »
BETWEEN NOW AND AUGUST 31ST 2011

http://www.agnitum.c...grade-to-outpost.php

Complete the form to claim your Outpost Security Suite PRO for FREE!

You must have an active license for an Internet Security Suite, purchased for personal use. The license should be
for one year or longer and have at least three months remaining before expiration. You must be a resident of the
United States or Canada.

For all participants Outpost Security Suite Pro will be provided free of charge for one or two years depending on
the active competitive license. If the current license is valid for more than 3 months but less than 12 months,
it will be Outpost Security Suite Pro one-year license, if more than 12 months are left, then participant will
get Outpost Security Suite Pro two-year license. The Outpost license will be valid for up to 3 or 5 PCs for
personal and/or family use, depending on the competing license

Bionic71

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Outpost Security Suite PRO for FREE!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 12:02 PM »
1 year license of Agnitum Outpost Security Suite Pro worth $29.95 for free

http://freebiest.com...review-giveaway.html

http://www.agnitum.com/promo/freebiest/

Promotion Code: 9XH3K-DGBQ9-48SWC-WSK8K-C49IV

Valid August 2nd to August 4th, 2011

This offer is open for everyone.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 12:07 PM by Bionic71 »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 01:57 PM »
Anybody here have direct experience with using this product.

I hear a lot about Agnitum's new firewall. I haven't used anything by them in ages. Any opinions?  :)

chrisa52

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 02:59 PM »
The download links for the software OSS*.exe do no work.

http://www.agnitum.com/promo/freebiest/

I've downloaded from the main site. . .but have not installed yet.
It's Later Than You Think.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 03:47 PM »

I have a lifetime license to the product, so I have some opinions, but I do *not* consider myself an expert by any means.  

Anti-malware software is something that I deal with only very reluctantly. And it's not just Agnutum - none that I have ever used has made me happy because I feel like I can never trust it, it often makes my machine unstable, and often asks me questions or tells me things that I don't understand, and don't *want* to understand. I just want my stuff to work and not get "pwned".

Let me reiterate - none of that is specific to Agnitum. For example, I long ago gave up on McAfee and Norton which seemed to cause far more problems than they solved - I will not even try software from those outfits again.

Now, to my specifics with using Agnitum:

I have at least three problems that stick in my head.  Some of these probably would apply to other anti-malware suites, but I'm rarely in any mood to test these things out.

- I've had instances where the firewall caused blue screens. It's been probably more than a year since that happened - it was on a 32-bit Vista machine that I don't use anymore.  A 64-bit Win7 machine didn't have the bluescreen problems.  I suspect that the problem had to do with interaction with network card drivers, but I don't really know (and I hate trying to troubleshoot those things).  Since I wasn't particularly interested in the firewall portion of the Suite, I asked Agnitum if there was a way I could use my Suite key to activate the Outpost AV product (which is a subset of the Suite).  But there wasn't (once again, I don't think this is an issue that affects only Agnitum - I think that most Suites operate this way).  As far as I know there' no way to get the Suite to install only the the AV (or only the Firewall). After install you can disable portions, but I tried doing that to fix the bluescreen - without success.

- I like to open Firefox and leave it open with a whole mess of tabs. For days or even weeks.  I hate (hate, hate) having to restart my machine or applications, because then I have to do a bunch of work to make sure I get my 'state' back. After a long period of being open, Firefox becomes very sluggish, and I can see in Task Manager that both Agnitum and Firefox are using a boatload of memory.  I think this is more of a Firefox problem (and I think that the most recent version of 3.x seems to help - maybe I need to move to 4 or whatever FF is at), but I mention it here anyway because I think Agnitum probably isn't entirely without blame.

- I recently opened a PDF that contained a trojan and apparently got some sort of infection.  To be a little fair to Agnitum, I was stupid to open that file, but it was in an old email that I really wasn't sure if it was legit or not. Anyway, Outpost didn't detect or block the trojan.  Subsequent checks with other anti-malware showed that neither SUPERAntiSpyware or Vipre detected it.  MS Security Essentials did.  This goes to my issues of trust with anti-malware in general - it seems to me that it's a crap shoot whether or not the software you have installed at the moment will actually catch the virus that you're going to come across next.  On the plus side, this event did motivate me to finally uninstall Adobe Reader X (which is an unstable POS with a crappy search interface) and install Sumatra and STDUViewer in its place - my understanding is that these PDF viewers (which work very well so far) do not support PDF Javascript (which  is how PDF trojans generally work, I think).

Now that I've typed out those issues, I again feel that I'm being unfair to list these as detriments to Agnitum - they seem to be the kind of problems I've run into with whatever AV/Firewall I have installed. It's kind of like elections - you generally don't vote for the 'best'; you vote for the 'least worst'.

Note that I still use Agnitum Outpost Security Suite as my main anti-malware on my main machine since as far as I know it's the least worst, and I have little interest in evaluating a bunch of this kind of software.  Oh yeah, and since I have a lifetime license I don't have to pay for annual crappiness like I would for other anti-malware.

How's that for an endorsement?

« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 03:56 PM by mwb1100 »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 05:10 PM »
How's that for an endorsement?

"Ringing" enough that I'm not considering a switch to it - even as a test.  ;D

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 05:32 PM »

I too have the Security Suite and a lifetime license. I won't tell what happened long ago, because now is what counts, and today it is working flawlessly. I cannot understand how 40Hz could read mwb1100's post as a warning against Outpost; mwb1100 clearly paints a picture of programs out of date. The present Outpost version is 7.5.1; from reading mwb1100 post, I will bet his version is a lot older.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 06:06 PM »
I cannot understand how 40Hz could read mwb1100's post as a warning against Outpost; mwb1100 clearly paints a picture of programs out of date. The present Outpost version is 7.5.1; from reading mwb1100 post, I will bet his version is a lot older.

The bluescreen problem was from something like a year ago - so yes that's an out-of-date issue. Still, I wasn't (and am not) particularly happy that I had to work around it by getting some other AV instead of being able to not bother with the Firewall part of Outpost Suite. However, I do think pretty much all vendors would have the same limitation on this workaround (if you buy the Suite, you get the Suite - lock, stock, and barrel).

The Firefox thing I probably shouldn't have put in the post because I do think it's more of a Firefox issue.

The PDF trojan thing happened over last weekend - I can check what version of Outpost I had running when I get home, but I think it was very recent (like 7.5 or later); I'm sure it was at least 7.0.  Again, Outpost was by no means alone in not detecting that trojan.

I did try to get across that I don't think these problems are really problems unique to Outpost - I guarantee that if you give me whatever anti-malware suite, I'll have similar problems.  At least that's my historical experience. So I tried to couch my post with disclaimers that I don't think these are unique to Outpost. But, at the end of the day, they are the experience I had with Outpost. I am still running Outpost, and I don't have any particular plans to replace it on my main machine (though I may use other stuff on other machines).

So, to sum up, I'd take free anti-malware with these kinds of problems over paying for anti-malware with these kinds of problems - which as I've said, seems to be all of them. Basically, I have no reason to believe I'd be happier with something else, so while it might not be a ringing endorsement, you won't find me giving any other AV/Firewall a ringing endorsement either. And as far as McAfee and Norton go, you'll find me running the other way.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 06:20 PM by mwb1100 »