topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:17 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Software Revenue/Licensing Thoughts  (Read 17627 times)

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Software Revenue/Licensing Thoughts
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2011, 01:45 AM »
I just reread my post, and it seemed much harsher than I intended. I apologize if it came across that way. 

The way Mouser put it is much better (and to the point).

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2011, 02:16 AM »
I just reread my post, and it seemed much harsher than I intended. I apologize if it came across that way. 

The way Mouser put it is much better (and to the point).

Not at all! Honesty, and brutal honestly is greatly appreciated here. :)

I'm not some candy-ass pansy that can't take a bit of intelligent criticism, which is what I asked for, and what I got. :)

On my end for that, it wouldn't be that difficult to code. Implementation is NOT an issue. The only issue is WHAT to implement.

I had plotted out a rough progression for 5 features, then in the next version, perhaps some more, with an initial schedule something like this:

1    $1.99
2    $3.49
3    $4.95
4    $5.49
5    $5.95

Then, hypothetically, in the next version, something like this:

1    $1.99
2    $3.49
3    $4.99
4    $6.49
5    $7.49
6    $8.49
7    $8.95
8    $9.49
9    $9.75
10    $9.99

Which I would instantly discount 50% (marketing gimmick -- widely used here in Australia -- triple the price, them make it 50% off -- gawd... gas stations and chocolate bars...), and offer existing users an attractive "upgrade".

It's all... pure... gimmick... Nothing more. Just something to set a baseline then get the potential customer to buy into "it's only $2" and lead them to "but for a buck or so more I can get..." and then all the way up to the top of the scale because "it's only a few pennies more".

Gimmick. Gimmick. Gimmick.

There are only 2 prices -- the bottom, and the top. Everything else is there to get you to choose the top.

Anyways -- You then buy "checks" for check boxes and tick whatever you want. I then thought that letting people change every 30 days would be a good way to motivate them to finish up by buying the rest of the checks they want, if any.

So, it wouldn't be like buying a software license so much, as buying something like an in-game item/slot.

The model isn't really new or anything. It's just used in a different context --- gaming and retail.

Anyways... I've decided to nix it.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2011, 04:49 AM »
Taking example of clients expecting whole package plans, i think these type of cases are limited only to people who pay upfront/corporate crowd. But in case of small business owners and freelancers they prefer pay-as-you-go or feature plans. It is hard to put people into single frame when it comes pricing. But i agree with mouser, less complexity the better it is for customers to buy stuff. Try to give them less choices for purchase. Instead of offering 9 option of feature set, restrict it to 3-4. Less is better. How ? imagine android store or kindle store giving you options for ebooks- one time read, two time and so on.. or final as unlimited. I think maximum readers will choose either unlimited read license or they'll simply ignore such product offer.