topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:59 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How to find/replace a WDC WD5001ABYS-01YNA0 device driver  (Read 7035 times)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Apparently, my machine doesn't want to hibernate due to this device (WDC WD5001ABYS-01YNA0).

What's the right way to find the device driver and replace it without doing more harm than good?

Any help appreciated.

TIA

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: How to find/replace a WDC WD5001ABYS-01YNA0 device driver
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 06:29 PM »
Try uninstalling the driver from device manager and then restart the computer - there is something strange going on with that driver.

If that doesn't work try updating the motherboard drivers.

There is no reason why a hard disk should stop hibernation!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 07:23 PM »
Thanks, I'll give it a try once I'm certain that everything is backed up from all of my drives.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 02:16 AM »
If they don't work make sure the IDE drivers and individual drive drivers are MS drivers. Sometimes mobo drivers provide alternative IDE/hard disk drivers for no apparent reason and they often cause problems. I know nForce drivers do this but you can opt out of using them during installation.

If you have an nForce chipset it might be worth downloading the latest version for your motherboard from nVidia and then uninstall the current set restart, install the latest version but ue advanced mode and make sure you don't use nForce IDE drivers.

If you don't have nForce drivers it might be worth doing the same update for your motherboard and make sure that non-standard IDE drivers are not installed.

You shouldn't need anything other than the standard drivers supplied in Windows by MS and they should hibernate without issue.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 10:13 AM »
Thanks again, Carol.

As you will have surmised, I don't (want to) understand much about hardware.

Two of the subsidiary driver files for the device are from MS (disk.sys and PartMgr.sys).
One is from Acronis (snapman.sys)
One is from RollbackRX (Shield.sys)

It's the last one about which I have a mild concern. I don't want to have to reinstall RollbackRX as I'd lose my history of restore points and there's a good reason to hang on to the current set.

In your experience, if I change the WDC WD5001ABYS-01YNA0 driver should I expect that to disable the Shield.sys driver for RollbackRX or, for that matter, any other of the associated drivers?

Since my only reason for even thinking about hibernation is to play with Skwire's misunderstood Boot Snooze ( ;) ) I'd rather leave it incapacitated than create a bunch of issues on a machine that I sometimes use to earn money. So I'm trying to do some risk assessment here  :)

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 10:25 AM »
Isn't one of those drivers (Acronis or RollbackRX) blocking the hibernate feature of your system?
Since when is hibernate blocked? after you installed/upgraded either of them?

Oh, and an alternative for Boot Snooze could be to turn on your coffee/tea maker after you turn on your system, and make you that cup before you start your work :D

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 12:46 PM »
My guess is that it's the RollbackRX shield.sys but the system just gives me WDC WD5001ABYS-01YNA0 device as the problem

I've no idea when hibernation was blocked as I never use it.

I'm well versed in the breakfast between boot and work routine .
Once it was a snack, now it's a three-course meal ;D
There's a fair bit of stuff on this particular machine.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 08:40 AM »
Is RollBack like GoBack? If so that driver always blocked hibernation. Probably not much you can do about it if you want to keep Rollback running.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 09:10 AM »
Is RollBack like GoBack? If so that driver always blocked hibernation. Probably not much you can do about it if you want to keep Rollback running.
-Carol Haynes (May 29, 2011, 08:40 AM)

Yes, same sort of idea. I think you're right, the two concepts are incompatible and I find RollbackRX too useful to abandon (on this machine, at least).

Thanks to all for the input, probably stopped me from stepping in something that's best avoided  :)