topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Worlds leading experts...How is this status given?  (Read 5867 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Worlds leading experts...How is this status given?
« on: May 18, 2011, 09:37 AM »
I cannot tell you how many times I have read an article, gotten to the bottom and found a description of the author which claims them to be "A world leading expert on XYZ." My question is this, where is this title given or is it just a buzz word that is self-given to make yourself appear credible? At what point do you consider yourself a "World leading expert"? At what level of experience is this title bestowed? Is there an official ceremony?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Worlds leading experts...How is this status given?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 09:58 AM »
from the 40hz Dictionary:

"World leading expert" (n.) - (1) One who's education and experience has gained sufficient notoriety such that his or her opinion is valued above that of the more common fool. (2) A term to be placed on one's business card or website in order to fill an awkward whitespace. (3) The author of any book which has sold at least one million copies.

Since it is obvious the world is going to hell in a hand-basket, we may only surmise it is those who so expertly "lead the World" who should be held mainly responsible.

Actual usage may vary depending upon context:

In common parlance: anyone who has won a Nobel Prize or similarly distinguished themselves in their field of expertise.

In the press: anyone with a graduate degree, or extensive experience, who is willing to talk to a reporter.

In politics: any university professor or Ph.D. whose 'expert' opinion coincides with a favored political agenda. (see also: prostitute)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 10:03 AM by 40hz »

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 10:04 AM »
excellent ;D

Daleus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 10:08 AM »
Ah cool.

All I have to do is find a brothel to solve the world's leading problems ;)
Daleus, Curmudgeon-at-Large

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 10:10 AM »
My latest example comes from betanews where one of their new authors is listed as a "one of the world's leading experts on Microsoft licensing policies"

It seems, at least in the IT industry, this term, and those similar to it, are self-derived.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 10:34 AM »
Ah cool.

All I have to do is find a brothel to solve the world's leading problems ;)

Wow! Never thought of doing that.

So that explains why you so often catch people in 'high places' frequenting brothels.

Mystery solved! ;D

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 11:28 AM »
@40hz - You really should consider publishing that dictionary of yours. It may actually save the world through laughter.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 11:57 AM »
@40hz - You really should consider publishing that dictionary of yours. It may actually save the world through laughter.
-Stoic Joker (May 18, 2011, 11:28 AM)

Thanks, but it's a little too snarky in most places to really be funny in a good way. I mostly use as a personal therapy exercise. People might get the wrong (or possibly the entirely correct) impression of me if it ever got out in it's unexpurgated form.

Bierce's Devil's Dictionary earned him "The Bitter Bierce" as his lasting sobriquet. And he pulled way more punches in his book than I do in mine.  Even my ever supportive GF has rolled her eyes at some of my 'definitions' and asked: "Is everything all right?" when she read them. ;D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 12:22 PM by 40hz »

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 12:27 PM »
Clearly, 40hz is one of the world's leading experts on World Leading Experts.

That's gotta be worth something.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 06:53 PM »
-Stoic Joker (May 18, 2011, 11:28 AM)

Thanks, but it's a little too snarky in most places to really be funny in a good way. I mostly use as a personal therapy exercise. People might get the wrong (or possibly the entirely correct) impression of me if it ever got out in it's unexpurgated form.

So save your reputation and publish it in my name... :D ...It can't be any worse than most of George Carlin's stuff ... and people loved him.

Damn-it man, don't make me beg.  :)

@mwb1100 - Damn Straight!