topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:04 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: PC Lock software for "Free"  (Read 5312 times)

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
PC Lock software for "Free"
« on: May 16, 2011, 09:11 AM »
Laplink Software is giving away their new disk encryption software PC Lock for free ("Regularly $29.95") today as an introductory offer.

So why am I not posting this in Deals and Discounts?

Because of the following in the user's guide (but not on the web page):

IMPORTANT:  When you purchase PC Lock, you are purchasing a single
  license.  This license is a 12 month subscription to PC Lock.  For
  complete details, refer to the End User License Agreement (EULA).

If you would like to uninstall PC Lock, you must be running PC Lock and
  logged on.  If your subscription ends and you have not uninstalled the
  program, all your files will remain encrypted.  You must extend your
  subscription to PC Lock or contact customer service to gain access to
  your encrypted files

Most of the other software titles from Laplink are also on sale today for up to 75% off, if you think you can trust these folk.

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: PC Lock software for "Free"
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 09:26 AM »
I can't say I approve of those tactics. So you run out of subscription, or hell maybe they go bankrupt, and your files are forever held hostage. Corporations only want money, and spending resources on people who aren't customers anymore is a way to lose money, so obviously you cannot expect them to help you out.

The way I see it, it should always be able to uninstall post-subscription period assuming you enter your password. This software is totally a no-no for me: I don't like hostage-subscription-ware no matter how small or crazy the situation has to be for it to actually turn into that.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 09:27 AM »
Two words (besides the obvious two): Axcrypt and Truecrypt.  :Thmbsup:

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 11:48 AM »
WoW! ...Extortion Much?

Thanks for the warning!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 01:46 PM »
WoW! ...Extortion Much?

Thanks for the warning!
-Stoic Joker (May 16, 2011, 11:48 AM)

I don't think it's extortion even if it is a jive move on their part. The do have this proviso:

You must extend your subscription to PC Lock or contact customer service to gain access to your encrypted files

I doubt they'd refuse to let you in at all. (Probably be illegal for them to do that anyway.) I'm guessing they'll issue you a time-limited key to get your stuff decrypted and do an uninstall if you call. But likely not before they first subjected you to a high pressure sales pitch to extend your subscription. Probably offer it on a sliding discount scale depending upon your degree of resistance too. ("OK Bud, this is our 25th and absolute final offer. And this time we really mean it!"  :mrgreen:)

But that's still hokey and best avoided. Most other companies that offer subscriptions only shut off your ability to add new files when your subscription expires. I've never heard of anybody requiring you contact customer service in order to uninstall a program or get your data out of it because of that...

Big thumbs down!

Laplink's been around for years too! They should know better than to do something like this. :down: :down:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 01:53 PM by 40hz »

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 03:17 PM »
By the way, slightly off-topic or tangent  query- : I have one seagate usb hard disk with capacity 320GB, is there any chance i can lock such drives with some sort of password when they're accessed ?

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 03:32 PM »
Two words (besides the obvious two): Axcrypt and Truecrypt:Thmbsup:

40hz already gave the 2 most obvious away  ;D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 03:51 PM »
By the way, slightly off-topic or tangent  query- : I have one seagate usb hard disk with capacity 320GB, is there any chance i can lock such drives with some sort of password when they're accessed ?

Two words (besides the obvious two): Axcrypt and Truecrypt.  :Thmbsup:

40hz already gave the 2 most obvious away  ;D

Thankee Ath! I think so too! ;D

Best bet is TrueCrypt.

There's a good step by step how-to here.

There's a much more 'geeky' introduction and walk through here. Well worth watching. Cracking!

But before you do any of that, take the time to watch this video.

It features Eric Cole of the SANS Institute discussing things you need to know about and think about before you commit to using encryption as a method of safeguarding your data. In it he points out several pitfalls to "whole disk" encryption - and where the real danger to your data comes from - even if you do use encryption.

Nice little "get your head on straight intro" to the topic. It only takes five or so minutes - and the fact 'Doc' Cole looks just like a squirrel (with a Noo Yawk accent no less!) makes it even more fun. ;D

TrueCrypt can be set up in "traveler mode" for portable use, which is what I'd recommend.

If you don't like TrueCrypt, and you're looking for something you can run from as opposed to on your flash drive to encrypt and use your files anywhere, check out the portable applications listed here.

For individual files or folders, rather than whole drive encryption, Axcrypt  (in it's portable version) is a very good choice.

I've used both.

I prefer TrueCrypt. :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 04:11 PM by 40hz »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 05:23 PM »
WoW! ...Extortion Much?

Thanks for the warning!
-Stoic Joker (May 16, 2011, 11:48 AM)

I don't think it's extortion even if it is a jive move on their part. The do have this proviso:

You must extend your subscription to PC Lock or contact customer service to gain access to your encrypted files

I doubt they'd refuse to let you in at all. (Probably be illegal for them to do that anyway.) I'm guessing they'll issue you a time-limited key to get your stuff decrypted and do an uninstall if you call. But likely not before they first subjected you to a high pressure sales pitch to extend your subscription. Probably offer it on a sliding discount scale depending upon your degree of resistance too. ("OK Bud, this is our 25th and absolute final offer. And this time we really mean it!"  :mrgreen:)

I know. But I kinda like to calls'em like I sees'em ... And if you or I pulled some shit like that on a street corner, minus the lawyers and the letterhead ... They'ed be arresting us for what? Starts with an E...

:D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 06:14 PM »
They'ed be arresting us for what?
-Stoic Joker (May 16, 2011, 05:23 PM)

swat_team.jpg

40hz: You'll never take me alive.