topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:49 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Dropbox Shortcuts Holder  (Read 3045 times)

Hyphen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Dropbox Shortcuts Holder
« on: March 27, 2011, 04:40 PM »
Okay, I use Dropbox to carry a lot of portable applications. Dropbox installs in different directories on different systems by default and whatnot. Some of these programs I use more frequently then others so I wanted to make shortcuts. I use them across all of my computers and I don't want to make all of these shortcuts on every single computer.

I made a "Shortcuts" directory to throw them in, in Dropbox, but that doesn't work since the absolute path won't be the same across systems. I was wondering if there was some program specifically for Dropbox that I could use as a holder for my shortcuts? I was thinking some standalone program that you can launch within Dropbox and toss all your Dropbox shortcuts in and it just sets the path based on your Dropbox installation directory + directory within the Dropbox.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Dropbox Shortcuts Holder
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 04:57 PM »
I use the PortableApps.com launcher (in my Dropbox directory), then manually pin a shortcut to the start menu on each PC.

If you're using portable applications that aren't available from PortableApps.com, you could also put them in the PortableApps.com "Documents" directory and use the launcher's button to quickly access that directory.

Hyphen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Dropbox Shortcuts Holder
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 05:16 PM »
I use the PortableApps.com launcher (in my Dropbox directory), then manually pin a shortcut to the start menu on each PC.

If you're using portable applications that aren't available from PortableApps.com, you could also put them in the PortableApps.com "Documents" directory and use the launcher's button to quickly access that directory.
Still don't see how that'd work as any programs I add would be added by the absolute path of the file within the Dropbox directory. It'd be helpful if there was some environment variable in Windows specifically for your Dropbox.