topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:11 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Structurer for Windows?  (Read 10259 times)

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Structurer for Windows?
« on: January 18, 2011, 09:19 AM »
Is there anything like Structurer for Windows? Boy I could make a lot of use of that thing!

"This app allows you to rapidly create file/folder structures for your new projects. Less than a month later, the developer, Cesar Tessarin, is back with a much improved version which now provides support for template creation, as well as assigning custom content automatically to newly created files."

If not, I'll post it into the DC ideas section!

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Structurer for Windows?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 10:13 AM »
If you just needed a simple folder/file maker, I could extend my Text 2 Folders application to cover files and basic template saving.  The custom content stuff is much more involved.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 10:15 AM »
If you just needed a simple folder/file maker, I could extend my Text 2 Folders application to cover files and basic template saving.  The custom content stuff is much more involved.

That would be just fine for now!!!

Can it also copy content from another folder as part of the process?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 11:16 AM »
Nowhere near as elegant as Structure - but Windows already has a command (XCOPY) that will let you do that.

Syntax is: XCOPY source destination /T /E

Where:

/T = Copy directory and subdirectories but exclude the actual files
   /E = Include any empty subdirectories

So if I had a directory on the C-drive called Library, and I wanted to make a copy of its structure in a new directory on the D-drive and call it EBooks the following would do that:

XCOPY c:\Library d:\EBooks /T /E

To get something like templates, you could always create a directory of all your standard folder structures and do an XCOPY of those.

Again, not very pretty, but very efficient. When we needed to clone multiple empty data directories to 50 new business workstations at a time, this was how we used do it. (Actually, it was scripted and a little more involved than that - but it still used XCOPY.)

---

If you're using Windows 7, the XCOPY command has been superseded by Robocopy.

Robocopy is XCOPY on steroids. Command syntax is similar to XCOPY (i.e. command source destination /options) with some big differences in the option names. For the above example, the robocopy command would be:

ROBOCOPY c:\Library d:\EBooks /E /NOINFO

Robocopy will also work under Windows XP, but you'll need to download it (as part of a resource kit) from Microsoft since it's only gets included with Windows 7. Fortunately, you don't need to resort to the command prompt.

If you're using Windows XP or later (or you'd just prefer having a GUI to work with) download a copy of RichCopy from Microsoft. On the options page, you can tell it to just copy the directory structure.

RichCopy.gifStructurer for Windows?

The included help file will tell you about all the other nifty things this powerful little utility can do. Give it a look when you get a chance. Very 'cool tool.'  8)

Note: if you're running the 64-bit version of Win7, there's a free 3rd-part 64-bit GUI that uses the Robocopy engine and works much like RichCopy. It's called rbcSYNC and it's published by Steitz IT Solutions. Download a copy here.

Luck! :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 12:31 PM by 40hz »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 01:53 PM »
XXCopy, A  Versatile File Management Utility is XCopy on turbo-steroids, cubed.  There are free-for-personal-use, Home and Corporate versions.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 01:58 PM »
XXCopy, A  Versatile File Management Utility is XCopy on turbo-steroids, cubed.  There are free-for-personal-use, Home and Corporate versions.

"It has more command switches (>230) than any other tool of its kind."  :o

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 02:01 PM »
Wow. I've never thought there may be special utilities for that.
I am always using Notepad++ for such task: typing structure down, adding Batch commands and saving as BAT. Double click after that and it's done.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 02:47 PM »
Wow. I've never thought there may be special utilities for that.
I am always using Notepad++ for such task: typing structure down, adding Batch commands and saving as BAT. Double click after that and it's done.
-fenixproductions (January 18, 2011, 02:01 PM)

Same here, but just recently I've been doing a lot of this, with minor variants each time. At some point you step back and say "hang on, there's gotta be a better way."

In fact, I'm actually trying to do that more often. Every time I feel like something's getting repetitive, I try to stop and find a better alternative. It's lead to some great finds over the years: Opus, Final Builder, FARR to name but three :)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 09:01 AM »
There's a Windows version being developed here:

https://github.com/d...tilityForDevelopment

I haven't tried it myself.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 09:03 AM by skwire »

teMKaa

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 09:17 AM »
Look at 47 folders , handy Windows "structurer". :Thmbsup:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 03:00 PM »
Look at 47 folders , handy Windows "structurer". :Thmbsup:
Welcome! This is 47 folders, a minimalist, smart & incredibly useful app, for creating folder structures! It's like structurer mac app, but for Windows XP/Vista/7! Built by UX designers, with care.
-47 folders

Really useful first post, teMKaa. Welcome!

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 04:36 PM »
Now this looks interesting. And thank you, Curt, for PM-ing me about this thread. What a hero!  :Thmbsup: