topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2011 Release: Ethervane Radio 0.2.4  (Read 90518 times)

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2011 Release: Ethervane Radio
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2011, 07:06 PM »
Just wanted to give my heartfelt thanks for a fabulous little piece of software.

This is really fantastic to hear. Thank you so much, and welcome to DC!

Leif

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2011, 03:38 AM »
Looks very nice indeed. And now that Screamer seems to be (half) dead we need something that works.   :Thmbsup:

DeVamp

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Let the coding begin :-)
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2011, 03:24 AM »
I'd like to mention one thing:

The program makes use of the proxy settings of internet explorer
At least I think.

At work (portable) I need internet explorer with proxy configured.
At home, I use Opera on the same portable, so I leave the proxy settings in IE.
But I could not make a connection to any radio.

When I cleared the proxy settings in IE, it worked immediately.

I didn't found a mention to this somewhere.

Great job on the program! :Thmbsup:

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2011, 07:48 AM »
Hi DeVamp,

The truth is the program doesn't do anything at all (yet) about the proxy. So one part of the program (the BASS library, which downloads and decodes audio streams) uses IE settings by default, while another part (my own code that downloads playlists) does not use proxies at all.

This is one of the things I need to straighten our pretty urgently. I hope to do a new release before the end of the month.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2011, 05:19 PM »
New version: 0.2.4, released 2011-02-28

1. Significantly improved Search dialog box:

- The dialog box now has its own taskbar button (can switch to it via Alt+Tab)

- Search is significantly faster, especially when a large number of matches is returned. (Search is now completed in about 30% of the time it took previously)

- Two search modes: "Basic" and "Advanced". To switch press F4 or use the "Options" button.

a) BASIC mode works as before, the program finds the text exactly as it is entered. However, wildcards (? and *) can now be used in the middle of the string, so that "United States" and "Uni*tes" will return pretty much the same results.

b) ADVANCED mode works a little like Google search.
- Enter terms separated by spaces, e.g.
tango argentina
- Ethervane Radio will find all stations which contain BOTH terms. This is the same as typing:
tango AND argentina
- Phrases must be enclosed in double quotes:
jazz AND "united states"
- AND is the default conjunction (operator), but you can also use OR and NOT, as well as parentheses:
( tango OR salsa ) AND ( argentina OR brazil )
tango AND NOT argentina
- Wildcards can be used anywhere in the search terms. For example, if you are not sure whether to spell "Brasil" or "Brazil", enter:
bra?il
Or, if you don't want to spell a long name, you can say
tango and arg*
- All terms entered as described above will be found in ALL station fields (name, genre, country, region, network, website, tagline, etc.). However, you can also specify that a term must occur in a specific field. To do that, use the full or abbreviated name of a field, followed by colon, followed by the text you are looking for. To find stations from France:
cou:France
c:France
or even (using a wildcard)
c:Fr*

Note: "city" and "country" start with the same letter. If you only use  "c:", country is assumed.
- Phrases must still be quoted:
city:"New York"

You can combine any of the above in whatever ways you wish. Note that because the default operator is AND, the following will return no results:
genre:jazz genre:chillout
This, however, will work as expected:
genre:jazz OR genre:chillout

To know the available fields and their names, click the "Field" button in the search window. Clicking one of the listed fields will enter it into the search box and let you continue typing.
Note: to search for station websites you can use both "w:" (website) or "u:" (url).

- Synonym matching has been introduced. It cannot be configured yet, and for now only 1 synonym is defined: you can search for "usa" instead of always having to type "United States". (ADVANCED mode only.)

- Using the Options button in the search window you can switch between "Instant search" (search as you type) and "Wait for Enter". Instant search is only available in the BASIC mode.

- A new option under the Options button in the search window is "Automatic wildcards". It applies only to the ADVANCED mode. When this option is turned OFF, ER will find the text exactly as typed, and you may use wildcards anywhere. For example, to search for stations whose genre is "jazz", you can type
g:jazz
However, this will not find stations where genre is "smooth jazz" (or "jazz, smooth"). You can manually add wildcards to find those:
g:*jazz*
If "Automatic wildcards" is turned ON, the program will always automatically wrap your search terms in wildcards, so that searching for "jazz" is the same as searching for "*jazz*". This applies to ADVANCED mode only. (In BASIC mode terms are always wrapped in wildcards).

- All settings described above will be remembered when you close and restart the program.

- Current mode is shown on the Options button. Also, in ADVANCED mode, the search box background is light yellow, so you can easily recognize the current mode.

2. Log window improved (use the Options button, and right-click the message list for more options)

3. Track titles ("now playing" data) are now displayed, if available from the server you are listening to. Still more station and track information will be shown in the next release.

4. Lots of improvements under the hood. (All configuration settings will be reset, sorry about that! It may happen any time as long as the app is in alpha stage, and until there is a proper configuration dialog box.)

5. Added a timer in the status bar to show playback time.

6. From now on, you can also download Ethervane Radio from the following links:
http://www.tranglos....s/EthervaneRadio.zip
http://www.ethervane...s/EthervaneRadio.zip
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 05:43 PM by tranglos »

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2011 Release: Ethervane Radio 0.2.4
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2011, 05:31 PM »
Whew... it's taken some time, but I've had to clear the path for mo' better features.  Next up, more station data, proxy configuration (not yet, sorry!) and finally the actual station browser, so you can browse through what's available instead of searching.

I'm going for a short trip this week, so if I don't reply here within a few days, don't worry.

It is always possible to mess something up in a new release. Keep your current version, just in case, so you can revert to it if the new version fails.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2011, 06:43 PM »
...and I also want to say, THE MUG IS AWESOME! Thank you, Mouser, and thank you, Nudone!  :-*

enar

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2011, 01:50 PM »
one word

...AWESOME...  :-*

DeVamp

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Let the coding begin :-)
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2011, 06:42 AM »
Lovely update.
Great improvement of the search function  :-*

Keep up the work :-)

P.S. in what language is this written?

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2011, 10:10 AM »
P.S. in what language is this written?

Thanks, DeVamp :) It's written in Delphi XE, which I think is the best Delphi edition ever.

MrEprize

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2012, 03:01 PM »
Nice radio player!  I have been playing around with it a lot.  I was curious if it is still being developed?  If so I would like to offer a suggestion about AAC streams. 
I have a low bandwidth impairment and usually listen to 40-48k AAC streams because they tend to not stutter every 5 minutes.  My request would be a separation or indication of AAC streams, stream rate would be handy also.  I am sure other people would benefit also from these additions.
Thanks for your consideration and time!

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2012, 05:03 AM »
Nice radio player!  I have been playing around with it a lot.  I was curious if it is still being developed?

It absolutely is. It's just that the radio was in many ways a first for me: my first database-backed application, first app that handles internet streams, first app that relies on heavy thread use, first app that's nearly 100% asynchronous, etc. So there's a number of things I did not get right the first time and that need much more work.

If so I would like to offer a suggestion about AAC streams. 
I have a low bandwidth impairment and usually listen to 40-48k AAC streams because they tend to not stutter every 5 minutes.  My request would be a separation or indication of AAC streams, stream rate would be handy also.  I am sure other people would benefit also from these additions.

I totally agree. At the moment there is no way to select a particular stream. The app simply tries all available streams in sequence until it finds one that works. This is one of this things that I'll have to address, but I can't say when this will happen.

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2012, 12:56 PM »
I've been using Ethervane Radio more and more recently.  ESPECIALLY since it gives me access to a few stations I haven't been able to get on some of the bigger named programs.  I've also noticed the sound quality through my external speakers seems better too.  It at least seems I need to tweak the other programs a little with an EQ plug-in for them to sound as good.   Are you doing anything special to make ER sound better or am just (or not) hearing things??  :tellme:

There are times though I would like to boost the bass a little with ER.  Are there any recommendations of an add on EQ that could work with ER?  I've gone through all of my sound/speaker settings and there isn't anything installed.  This is a Dell laptop with whatever stock sound card came with it.

Thanks!

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2012, 09:30 AM »
Hi Tranglos,

I went to both your new and old sites and noticed Ethervane Radio isn't shown on either. Do you have any further updates/features planned? Not being pushy, just wondering?

Also, one of the links in your initial post is 404'ing.
Links copied from your original post:
This one works ok. Brings up a download file dialog.
http://www.tranglos.com/free/files/EthervaneRadio.zip

This one comes back with the 404:
http://www.ethervane.com/files/EthervaneRadio.zip

I am running v 0.2.4.42. Is this the current one available?  Latest shown in the 1st post just has 0.2.4 and Feb 28 with no year.

It is working fine except for occasionally not being able to connect to a station that comes up in the search.  Luckily for me most of the ones I like ARE connecting.

Thanks fot the great program.