topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:36 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: In search of a site much like answers.com ...  (Read 2292 times)

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
In search of a site much like answers.com ...
« on: December 21, 2010, 02:26 AM »
Folk,

Once upon a time, in the early days of the Web, there was a site whose URL I've lost.  This was back in the days when there were few TLDs, mostly .com, .edu, & .gov.  It was probably a .edu, but I really do not recall.  It was like unto ehow.com, answers.com, coolquiz.com, straightdope.com, didyouknow.org ...

It provided information such as

• the mayday emergency call is a bastardization of the French word maidez (sorry, I don't have accenting capability right now)
  • the morse code SOS was not an abbreviation of save our souls or save our ship, but the shortest morse message that was unlikely to be confused with static, yet easy to remember
  • various and sundry why is it and how to do it and how does it work gems.

For the time - mid- to late-nineties - it was a gargantuan site, so I'd not expect that it has gone under.  At least, I'd be very disappointed if it has gone under, although the Web doesn't seem too concerned about my disappointments  :P.

Anyway, considering the breadth of knowledge extant at DC, I thought that perhaps one of you might still recall that URL.  I'd be most grateful - for whatever that's worth  :huh: - to have it again.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: In search of a site much like answers.com ...
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 05:51 AM »
questionhub.com indexes a lot of answers site maybe you can search from their index. Look for which site they're supporting as of now and see if the site you are looking for is there.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 08:03 AM »
Hope it wasn't hosted on Geocities.  :(

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 08:39 AM »
May be RefDesk http://refdesk.com/ can be useful in your search. An oldie with tons of links to reference stuff.