topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:52 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: No EditBox  (Read 3796 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
No EditBox
« on: December 11, 2010, 03:16 PM »
This happened a few months ago, but I can't remember how I fixed it.  All of a sudden I hit Pause key to open FARR.  No editbox or icons to click to get options. I can't find any options in settings accessed from the tray icon that look like they would turn it on or off.  I just tried reinstall.  Same thing.

I'm running 2.90.02 on Vista64.

The same release is on Win7 32 bit and is still working normally.
Could be I double-clicked another tray icon and hit something by mistake. But I can't find what that might be.

Searched here but editxxx is too common a term to get a hit that isn't 3 years old. :(

Aiyy. Hit something else. Now all I have is a gray rectangle when it comes up. :(

Edit just installed latest beta on top.  No joy.

Edit2: completely uninstalled, deleted folder, installed latest beta.  Same deal. No edit box.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 03:31 PM by MilesAhead »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: No EditBox
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 03:34 PM »
can you show me a screenshot?

try to find your FindAndRunRobot.ini file, which will be in your documents folder somewhere.  exit farr, RENAME it, restart farr.
if that solves it, send me your ini file so i can see what the problem is!

usually no edit box means you dragged the icons too far over to the left, and you just need to drag them back.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 03:56 PM »
can you show me a screenshot?

try to find your FindAndRunRobot.ini file, which will be in your documents folder somewhere.  exit farr, RENAME it, restart farr.
if that solves it, send me your ini file so i can see what the problem is!

usually no edit box means you dragged the icons too far over to the left, and you just need to drag them back.

Yeah, that rings a bell. But this time there was nothing to grab onto with the mouse.
Deleting the .ini file got the edit line options and help box back.

I'll just copy stuff from the other machine to get my settings.

Edit: I didn't realize that .ini was there. Should have used Everything Search instead of just looking in the program folder.  I'm using a utility WinResize2 that remembers window positions.  I didn't use it on FARR but maybe it discombobulated it. I'm going to add this fix to my tips TreePad file before I forget it. :)

Thanks for fixing me up. I get the shakes if I hit the Pause key and I can't use FARR. :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 04:07 PM by MilesAhead »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 05:07 PM »
id really like to see the bad ini file -- might give me a clue as to what went wrong.

there is no reason you should have to lose any of your ini settings -- its almost certainly justone line in that ini that is the culprit.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 07:16 PM »
id really like to see the bad ini file -- might give me a clue as to what went wrong.

there is no reason you should have to lose any of your ini settings -- its almost certainly justone line in that ini that is the culprit.

I don't have it anymore.  I copied the one from my other machine
along with my alias file.  No damage.  Just the frustration of forgetting the solution.
I made a batch to pop up my tips file.  Got to start using it because my memory sucks. :)

The .ini.bak is so close in time that it's not the one with the problem.
Something must have sent size message to the window.  With all the macro thingies it's to be expected. If it happens again I'll just consult my tips file for step by step fix I noted.

No big deal. :)