topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:15 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Double Clipboard Hotkey  (Read 7081 times)

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Double Clipboard Hotkey
« on: November 12, 2010, 12:06 PM »
Hello, y'all!  I thought of a quickie (for y'all, at least).  I want to push win+c, win+x, and win-v to copy, cut and paste but to an alternate clipboard.  That way I can quickly clip out two things(whether it be bitmaps, text, or dataobjects) and paste them just as quickly.  Other users might like different global hotkeys, but I want win+.  If nobody makes this, I am going to figure out how to do it - but it will take me longer.  Thanks for reading my poor note.  -Brother Gabriel-Marie

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Double Clipboard Hotkey
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 07:06 PM »
Actually, this is an idea I have been toying with and could see being very very usefull, especially when dealing with large PSD files where im chopping from other files to make the content.

Certainly seems like it could be an epic idea, and with the possibility to hotkey any amount of paste buttons, it would be nice to be able to do the following:

Clipboard Amount = 9

Copy Key = Ctrl + (left) Shift + 1 (through 9) so
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

I now have 9 items on the clipboard

to paste, i would simply want to do:

CRTL + (right) shift 1 (through 9)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

this should work for both the numpad AND the numbers above "qwertyuiop"

WIN + Shift + 1 (or w/e number u want) will delete that pic from clipboard.

Perhaps, as an added bonus for those of us with multiple screens we could have a window open when we copy to show us what is on the clipboard for each key.

For those without, this could be a toolbar at the bottom of the screen (Movable to be like the taskbar {Snaps to bottom right, left or top})

Very rough and untidy mockup below:
(Aspect Size when full = 1024x768 - File Size 19.7kb)
copypaste.pngIDEA:  Double Clipboard Hotkey

Bottom section only shows a limited number of boxes, but can scroll left and right, top is obvious, it just shows u in a larger format what each is, and show (like the toolbar) the shortcut for each.

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 07:54 PM »
Well, I certainly didn't plan on THAT epic!  In my idea, I don't want ANY GUI at all (except, perhaps, a tray icon to keep the process running).  I don't want to remember lots of key-commands.  I am a PowerPro user, and so I have hotkeys mapped to everything under the sun already.  I can't work with a program that doesn't allow me to change hotkeys.  I tried a program called "clipboards" which allows you 9 clipboards, you switch between them using alt+1, alt+2, etc.  Problem is that many programs (especially code-editors) will use those hotkeys also, and "clipboards" won't let you change them.  I just want ONE extra keyboard mapped to use win+c, win+x and win+v.  I see that Skrommel has something similar called "clipstep" which will give you multiple clipboards and you can cycle through them without any GUI - problem with that program is that it actually saves all the data to files, which is slow unless you set the executable's priority to very high. 
     What I am thinking, and I've coded somethin like it in Powerpro already (but it doesn't work right all the time, only some of the time and in some programs), is that when you copy with win+c, it grabs the clipboard into memory and stores it there until you use win+v.   Now, I could see the value of having the option of displaying a little window to show you what is in you win-clipboard as well as your regular clipboard.
     I am *very* interested to do this.

Apathetic_Coding

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Apathy Softworks
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 10:33 PM »
My new application (trying not to toot my own horn, but it may be useful to you) Quick Cliq offers 9 additional clipboards that can hold anything the standard clipboard can including binary data and application specific data. You can also view, edit, and append data to the clipboards making it a useful list maker.

Ctrl + 1-9 copies
Alt + 1-9 pastes
Ctrl + Win + 1-9 appends data

Get it here: http://apathysoftworks.com/software/qc

The clipboard functionality is an extra feature of the application so if you aren't interested in the main app then I wouldn't use it just for the clipboards.  :)

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 11:58 AM »
Thanks, y'all for your offers.  But I did it myself - my first ahk program!  You can download it HERE.
Autohotkey makes clipboard work soooooo  easy!
-BGM
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 08:54 PM by BGM, Reason: updated link to point to my DC site »

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 11:19 AM »
I've just updated this application to 1.4.
http://www.dcmembers...er/download/winclip/