topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 6:54 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Getting an HTC Desire HD -- Android Phone  (Read 27975 times)

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Getting an HTC Desire HD -- Android Phone
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2010, 02:21 PM »
Unfortunately we are not guaranteed equal rates of advancement across the gadget/technology spectrum. :D This is why we're still mostly using mouse and keyboard (or touch pad) to control computers, instead of speech or even direct brain interface (or something better?). Considering how far we've come since the first computer shipped with mouse and keyboard, with CPUs about 100,000 times faster (or more?), you'd think we would have better input devices, but nope...

- Oshyan

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2010, 04:13 PM »
I just imagine me and my work buddies doing our programming with a speech interface instead of the keyboard... :D

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2010, 10:35 AM »
Finally got my Desire HD last Friday. So far so good. I also had a chance to compare it to a friend's Samsung Galaxy S that has a Super AMOLED screen. I have to admit that the Samsung screen looks quite a bit nicer (well, more vibrant at least). The Desire HD's screen still looks very good though, if you don't have a direct comparison. And the screen is huge! The phone's form factor is quite nice actually, despite the large screen. Although one handed operation is not very easy.

I very much like Android, for the short experience I have with it. Although I see the problem of putting all eggs into one basket the experience of only having to enter one email address and one password and having all of your contacts, calendar, news feeds (and probably more) is amazing. No other configuration required.

I also like HTC's interface (Sense) and am experimenting with Apps and Widgets now. I'll certainly go and find the respective thread on donationcoder to present my favourites once I've used them a bit more :)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2010, 11:01 AM »
Hi phitsc,

I've got an HTC 7 Surround and have the same feelings about the screen. I doubt I'll spend much of the duration of my contract (35 months, now) comparing its screen to that of iPhone and/or Galaxy S so will be blissfully ignorant of what I am missing 99-100% of the time! The screen on this thing is stunning!

tsaint

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Hi from the a*** end of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2010, 04:05 PM »
It's too bad that Swype isn't available. Oh well.

Thanks for the SlideIt link. I've downloaded the demo and will give that a spin.

A beta Swype is available for download/install now if you're interested. http://beta.swype.com/

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2010, 06:11 PM »
I now own an iPod Touch 4 32GB and have compared my HTC Surround to it directly. I've done the same comparison with a Samsung Galaxy S using the live demo in a store and I really can't see enough difference to get worked up about it. I'm very happy with what I've got  :Thmbsup:

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2010, 04:37 AM »
I'm using Swiftkey and quite like it so far.