topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 3:35 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Tuts+ free file of the month: Getting Good with Git ebook  (Read 3492 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Tuts+ free file of the month: Getting Good with Git ebook
« on: October 14, 2010, 09:04 AM »
Usually $10, Getting Good with Git is free for the month of October.

So, you want to learn about Git, the fast version control system? Then you’ve come to the right place!

In this eBook (free for the month of October! Usually $10), I’ll be guiding you through the sometimes-confusing waters of using Git to manage your development projects. The eBook clocks in at a solid 104 pages.

All you have to do is create an Envato account and you will have access to all the monthly freebies, on all 8 of their sites....and that's a lot of goodies for commercial use and learning!

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Tuts+ free file of the month: Getting Good with Git ebook
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 09:15 PM »
Interesting.  I've been using Tortoise SVN.   Anyone used both, and can give a comparison?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Tuts+ free file of the month: Getting Good with Git ebook
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 02:09 PM »
Thanks for letting us know about this, app!

Kyrathaba: I've never used Git before, but after hearing Linus Torvalds speak about it, he definitely converted me from SVN to a distributed source control system. I've been using Mercurial, since Git isn't/wasn't really friendly towards Windows users.

For more information about Mercurial vs. Git, see this thread: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=21512.0

See specifically the second post in the thread, which talks about why Mercurial is preferred over Git by the author.