QuickNote is a small utility I have written that makes it possible to quickly create Microsoft OneNote notes, without using Microsoft OneNote itself. For instance, say that you are working in Microsoft Word and you suddenly remember that you still need to plan a meeting with Peter. To turn this into an OneNote note, normally you would switch to OneNote, go to the proper notebook and section, create a new page, type the note, and switch back to Word. Using QuickNote, you simply hit the Win-R hotkey and type "note Plan meeting with Peter". You never even leave Word.Background
I use OneNote in my implementation of David Allen's "Getting Things Done". I have a section called "Inbox" in a notebook "GTD" where I capture all kinds of stuff for later processing. This utility makes it easy to quickly capture any random thoughts, inspirations and ideas to my GTD Inbox.Installation and Prerequisites
- The archive contains just the executable itself: note.exe, a config file and a readme file. Extract the executable and config file to a folder in your path, for instance the Windows folder.
- This utility was written for OneNote 2010. Both OneNote 2010 and the .NET Framework 4 must be installed.
To use the utility, hit Win-R to get a command prompt, and then type something like: "note This is a note" (without the quotes). This creates a new OneNote page in the "Unfiled notes" section, with the title "This is a note". Switches
The following switches are available:
/d or /disp or /display Display the note in OneNote after creating it
/s or /sect or /section Specify the section where this note should be put
/set or /setting or /settings Display the settings window
/h or /help or /? Display some help Settings
The following settings can be changed through the Settings dialogue (note /set):
- Beeps: whether or not the system should beep to confirm note creation.
- Confirmation dialogs: whether or not note creation is confirmed with a message box.
- Target Section: the section where notes will be created by default.
note Plan meeting with Peter
note Plan meeting with Peter /disp
note Plan meeting with Peter /section todo