topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 6:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: livestrong.com MyPlate webapp  (Read 7373 times)

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
livestrong.com MyPlate webapp
« on: July 06, 2010, 03:58 PM »
So, a few months ago I stepped on the scale and it read something in the upper 280s, like 288. I think my mind blocked it out due to the trauma. I am closing in on 40 (currently 38) and it's only downhill from here.

I decided to lose weight and I started with exercise to increase my stamina. Then, after about a month and a half I started changing the way I eat. I haven't had a soda in about 3 weeks, which is unheard of. I used to drink about a 2 liter a day, though in recent years I had dropped that down to about a two liter every few days. I had myself convinced that I couldn't eat without a soda. I could drink water at other times, but when I'm eating I had to have soda. I think I have just about kicked the habit, I can even go out to dinner and order water with it now!

So, on to the point. I have lost 25 lbs so far, and I started tracking my calories a few weeks ago with an excel spreadsheet that I made. A few nights ago I stumbled across this site:

http://www.livestrong.com/myplate

Wow!  It is awesome! You can type in the foods you eat and it has a lot of stuff in the database, or you can enter the calories manually. If you eat the same meals commonly, you can set the meal up and add it with one or two clicks. You can also log your exercise.

If anyone here is trying to lose weight you might want to give this one a look.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: livestrong.com MyPlate webapp
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 08:51 PM »
Thanks for the info.

Good luck with the weight control. Slow and steady wins that race.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: livestrong.com MyPlate webapp
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 01:18 PM »
Thanks for the info.

Good luck with the weight control. Slow and steady wins that race.
-cranioscopical (July 06, 2010, 08:51 PM)
Agreed.  And if you ever find this not up to par for whatever reason, don't forget to check out SparkPeople.com.  I found it great because it tracks lifestyle changes (just like livestrong.com), not just food.  I use it primarily for the exercise portion, but you can use it for meal planning, calorie counting, calories burned (during exercises), salt intake, cholesterol intake, etc.  It really is very comprehensive.  I will check out yours too to compare when I get home Friday (next two nights I won't be able to get online at home, and I can't get to it from work).