topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 23, 2024, 2:00 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Going Facebook  (Read 3839 times)

jeremejazz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • hey!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website
    • Donate to Member
Going Facebook
« on: June 29, 2010, 07:07 AM »
Hi, to all facebook users, you can join to our groups at:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=151959669485
  ...The last thing we needed is computer enthusiasts.

By the way, I was just wondering, why not integerate facebook here in donationcoder?,, something like you can log in here

using your facebook account? is that possible?

parkint

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • It's bad luck to be superstitious
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Going Facebook
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 03:46 PM »
What benefit would be gained from 'integration' with Facebook?
I am currently working on a large Facebook app (for Christian Missions in Orlando), but don't believe the 'audience' on DC is appropriate for Facebook.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 04:19 PM »
There are security issues to think about with regards to this. There are too many rogue apps and other nasties being spread on Facebook that are capable of stealing facebook login info, and this could be a bad thing for people that have their facebook login info stolen and then whoever has it could then also have access to a bunch of accounts here on DC to do with as they please.

By not connecting DC to facebook and allowing people to log into the forum with their facebook account, we skip all the potential problems that could cause, and not have to deal with any security issues but our own.

But DC does have a fan page, if you would like to subscribe to it and share it with your facebook friends. The content posted to it is from our blog.

jeremejazz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • hey!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 05:49 AM »
thanks for the info... I think you have a point there.. so, those rogue sites aren't to be trusted?  :-[

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 06:34 AM »
thanks for the info... I think you have a point there.. so, those rogue sites aren't to be trusted?  :-[

You have no idea what nasties are spread through facebook?

A few months ago a friend of my daughter and myself clicked a link that one of his friends posted on his wall, to a "funny video". When he reached the page, there was no video. Instead there was a message that he couldn't see the video because he was "missing some codecs" and it provided a link to download & install the "missing codecs". It wasn't codecs he was installing...it was malware. This malware stole his facebook login info, phoned home with it, and shortly after our friend was locked out of his facebook account. Someone or something logged into his account and changed the email address and password so he couldn't log in. It then posted the same "funny video" link on the walls of all his friends, including me, my daughter, and some of our other friends. I deleted the one left on my wall, then commented on all the posts I saw with the link on friends' walls, alerting people not to click it and to delete the message and block our friend. If any of us had followed the link, downloaded and ran the "missing codec installer", we would have become infected too, and lost access to our accounts, just like he did.

We don't know how many others were infected with this prior to him getting hit. We don't know where it originated, and we don't know what other info it stole or nasty things it did.

There are also brand new "games" on facebook that require you to install a "plugin" to play them. Only if you install it, you don't get to play a game. Instead you get infected with malware that does similar to the malware my friend got hit with, posting messages on people's walls telling them to play this "cool new facebook game".

So you really need to be careful on facebook because there are a lot of nasty things being distributed on their network.