topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Suggestions for a docking station?  (Read 2997 times)

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Suggestions for a docking station?
« on: May 14, 2010, 09:29 PM »
This laptop configuration thing is growing <sigh />.  Now my navy buddy & his SO are talking about a docking station.  I've checked several online, and am leaning toward a Kensington K33926US, but thought I'd check with you folk, first.  I like this one because it has a 10/100 RJ-45 port, but that's just my belt-'n-'spenders attitude - it's not really necessary.  Anybody have any other recommendations?  The reviews I've found online have been pretty bad.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Suggestions for a docking station?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 10:31 PM »
FWIW I really don't have much faith in any 3rd party docking station. I've had several clients who have tried Kensington and various other brands. In almost every case there were problems. The most common was that the laptop sporadically stopped responding to the mouse and/or keyboard and required a full reboot to get it back. Also several cases of unreliable network connections when using the RJ45 jack on the dock as opposed to the laptop itself.   

I've always had the best luck with the ones specifically made for the laptop by the original manufacturer. And it's usually a good idea to get the docking station when you get the laptop. That's because there's this bad habit some manufacturers have of discontinuing the docking station before they sell off all the laptops it's meant for. So if you wait too long, you're sometimes left S.O.L. Especially if you decide to get one 12 months after the fact.

Just my 2 cents.  :)

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Suggestions for a docking station?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 01:01 AM »
I tend to agree, but have two (2) disparate laptops, one of which doesn't have a docking station as an option.  That would tend to lead to a third-party option, no?  This is not a case where I can follow preferences  :(.  So, since I'm not much of a trailblazer, I seek advice as to what might be a best second option.  (I really hate blazing trails - it sucks - 'cause it is seldom very rewarding.)