topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking for a "last accessed - with date" application  (Read 7347 times)

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm sure this exists, in fact I could quite well have it already but I'm looking for an app that lists all my exe's in order of last access date. If I do already have it then I've forgotten what it's called (and haven't used it in quite a while) which is why I'm looking for such an app.
I wanted to get on with the usual Spring clean and erase stuff that I've downloaded, tested and then forgotten about and it seems that if I can list all those apps that I haven't used or opened since say 6 months or even a year then the Spring cleaning will be a lot easier.

Any ideas or comments please ?

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for a "last accessed - with date" application
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 10:09 AM »
Most file managers provide the functionality you are looking for.

I'll take this opportunity to plug my fave, Total Commander.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 10:24 AM »
I wanted to get on with the usual Spring clean and erase stuff that I've downloaded, tested and then forgotten about
The freeware Belarc Advisor lists every software program on your computer and puts a little icon next to it that indicates how long it's been since you last used it: a one-bar icon indicates used within the past 7 days, 2 bars is used within the past 90 days, 3 bars is within the past year, and 4 bars is more than a year ago.  If you put your mouse over the icon, it tells you exactly when you last used it.  I find it useful for identifying programs I've forgotten about.  

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 01:41 PM »
Thanks for the replies - still not quite what I'm looking for !

"an app that lists all my exe's in order of last access date"

I know that some file managers are supposed to be able to do that but quite often they really show the "last modified date".

Thanks anyway.

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 01:53 PM »
In fact ... just remembered this from Karen's KarenWare :Directory printer, you can choose which attribute to use including last accessed date.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 05:28 PM »
In Windows Vista, simply open "Add/Remove Programs", right-click on 'Name' and click "More..." and click 'Last Accessed...'.

here in Danish:

2010.gif

It is Microsoft and Windows, so you can of course not fully trust the results...

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 06:14 PM »
It is Microsoft and Windows, so you can of course not fully trust the results...
Yes, I think this warning should be in red.  I have found the information about "last accessed" provided by Add/Remove Programs to be absurdly unreliable.  I'm basing my statement mostly on WindowsXP but also to some degree on Windows 7 (I've never used Vista, so I can't comment on that).

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 10:31 PM »
I know that some file managers are supposed to be able to do that but quite often they really show the "last modified date".

Some, like Total Commander, for instance allows you to configure it to show either Last Modified Date, Last Access Date...and even both simultaneously in addition to lots of other values.

Not to mention you could display this information for all your files not only your exe files (although it can set a filter to only display exes as well).

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 04:55 AM »
Thanks for the input. I think I'll stick with Karen's Directory Printer : it's really powerful, there are many filters (you can create your own), print to paper or to a text file in whatever order you choose.
So now I have this list of exe's in date order from today to way back when and I can get on with the Spring cleaning... ;D

majoMO

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 07:00 AM »
BulkFileChanger by NirSoft is useful and interesting also:

• BulkFileChanger is a small utility that allows you to create files list from multiple folders, and then make some action on them - Modify their created/modified/accessed time, change their file attribute (Read Only, Hidden, System), run an executable with these files as parameter, and copy/cut paste into Explorer.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 07:09 AM »
If you find that Karen's Directory Printer doesn't suit your needs, this wouldn't take more than a couple minutes to write up in AHK.

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 09:21 AM »
@ majoMO - thanks for that - I hadn't thought of checking Nirsoft's list, I really like his software : clean, neat, stable and rapid, and BulkFileChanger works quite well for what I want.

@ skwire - great, YES PLEASE. I was hoping that someone here might think this is a cool little project...!