topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: GUI for XXCopy  (Read 34719 times)

TT1

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
GUI for XXCopy
« on: April 08, 2010, 03:32 PM »
Perhaps a big request...

XXCopy is one of the most flexible, powerful copy/backup programs around.  Problem is, it's all Command Line driven.  Is there any way to create a GUI for it?  Perhaps a GUI for the 'free' version would be a good start .. that one only has a mere 200+ command line switches. ;>)

http://www.xxcopy.com/xcpymain.htm

Is there any interest in this, or should this be posted at a board for 'larger projects?

Thanks .. TT1.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: GUI for XXCopy
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 04:01 PM »
See this thread for a Gui made using an .hta script:

http://www.sevenforu...a-93.html#post656362

The Gui is for standard XCopy but it could serve as a template for what you want.
It has nice mouse over help that you could edit for xxcopy.  I don't remember using xxcopy.  Like you say, I've looked at it on their site but a zillion switches and I revert to RichCopy. :)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 04:10 PM »
Why make a GUI for XXCopy, when you could use the free version of SyncBack ?  I mean, surely the point of XXCopy is that it's command-line, for automating routine tasks without using a GUI?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 07:30 PM »
The XCopy Gui just produces a command line.  It's a crutch until you learn the command line stuff, or if you just aren't going to create that many command lines.  Use it to figure out the command lines, then make your batch files.

Learning the command line switches is faster of course if you use it all the time.  I use stuff like FitCD because I don't write enough AviSynth scripts to remember the stuff.