topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:14 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: HCenc beta  (Read 22109 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: HCenc beta
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2010, 07:12 PM »

Same here...don't have an HDTV yet. Still waiting for the technological advances to stabilize a bit. Right now anything you buy is made near obsolete by the next year's models.

I'm sort of in between.  I have a Sony 27" CRT type TV with 1080i. The finest quality isn't required since it's not being blown up large.  If you have a decent source, DVD upconverted looks pretty good.  Also I have a WD set top box.  It can play Avi/Divx HD and .mkv .m2ts. It has it's problems but it's nice to see some stuff in native HD.

I think they phased out these "WEGA" HDTVs. I got this one for $520.. about the price of a conventional color TV.  I have relatives with a gigantic Sony HDTV that fills their living room but every time they come by and see some HD content on this thing they marvel at the quality.  So it's a good compromise of cost/quality.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2010, 09:33 PM »
I haven't seen any development on DVD-RB in quite awhile.  I think most people are just burning to DVD9.  Seems Dobbs has moved on to BluRay.

Dobbs has stated that just about all the features possible are implemented & all bugs fixed. It's not that he has moved on, but DVD-RB is feature complete. He did say he wanted to release another version sometime soon to take advantage of some new features in HCenc, though.

If you get 'em from an online outlet like SuperMediaStore $1.33 ea for 8x DL isn't all that outrageous.

No, that's not outrageous, but when you can get DVD5s for $.25 each, though....

Also if you start with an HD resolution .mkv most of the time you don't want to shrink down to DVD5.

I don't have an HDTV as of yet & if I did in order for .mkv to be attractive to me there'd have to be set-top boxes that can read the format. I haven't shopped online for one yet, though.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2010, 11:55 PM »
Even if you have a set top box that plays .mkv you have to make some decisions about storage.  If a stack of Sata drives in a cabinet is an option that's cool.  My budget can't handle that. If you have a nice looking .mkv it will often convert to DVD9 which, played on an upconverting DVD player, can look very nearly like the source in quality.  The other option, to shrink the .mkv, requires 4 or 5 or 6 hour sessions with Handbrake.  If you have a super PC though, that may be a viable option.  I'm not sure how well Handbrake handles multi-core.  I've only actually done a few runs with it.  I got good results on one run that took about 4 hours.  When it starts telling me the job is going to take 7 or 8 or 9 hours, I abort.  I don't have the patience for it.

Once you start watching a TV with 16x9 mode you probably will want to get everything 16x9 anamorphic.  4x3 letterboxed doesn't seem so bad played on a conventional TV, until you start watching a 16x9 TV, then go back and look at some of the old DVDs you bought.  One drawback to doing HD => DVD is resizing down is slow.  What you end up doing is usually shaped by what equipment you have to watch the stuff on.  On some boards if I mention I don't mind burning subtitles into the video, it's like I spoke out against democracy or something!! Oh no!! You're ruining the video quality!!!  Like I have a 5 foot wide TV to watch it on like that guy!! :)

« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 12:03 AM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2010, 01:18 PM »
So far I've done 3 or 4 encodes with the new HC beta and haven't noticed anything weird with 2 pass.

I've always done the 2 pass. Maybe I should try the 1 pass once and do a comparison.

btw if you do another run I'd love to see a screen shot with 8 copies of HC Enc running stuck all over the desktop.  Then I could live vicariously.  :)  By the time I'm ready to get another PC I hope 8 cores and USB 3.0 will be in off the shelf units in my price range. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for this stuff to ramp up.  Maybe by College Computer Buying Season or Christmas? :)

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2010, 01:53 PM »
LOL, I'm also curious what Innuendo's DVD Rebuilder log files indicate on the total Rebuild Time.

I can only imagine what stunning times can be attained with his setup and DVD Rebuilder Pro.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2010, 03:50 PM »
Makes me sad MrOdwin didn't keep up with FAVC.  For videos I wasn't picky about quality I used to convert from avi to dvd using QuEnc one pass with high quality disabled.  Or "one pass half assed" you could say!!  Man those videos converted real quick!!  I'd love to see 8 copies of QuEnc pop up, then disappear.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2010, 08:16 PM »
Even if you have a set top box that plays .mkv you have to make some decisions about storage.  If a stack of Sata drives in a cabinet is an option that's cool.

Storage isn't a problem. I don't have tons, but my PC has 2 TB of storage in it & a NAS with two 1.5 TB drives in it. Never mind that that's all nearly full because I'm a packrat of epic proportions, though.... ;D

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2010, 08:18 PM »
LOL, I'm also curious what Innuendo's DVD Rebuilder log files indicate on the total Rebuild Time.

I always delete that out of habit. Next encode I do I'll try to remember to take screenshots & not delete the log.

Don't know about 8 instances of HCenc all open on the desktop, though. DVD-RB has always opened them minimized. Don't know off-hand if I can change that.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2010, 11:47 PM »

I always delete that out of habit. Next encode I do I'll try to remember to take screenshots & not delete the log.

Don't know about 8 instances of HCenc all open on the desktop, though. DVD-RB has always opened them minimized. Don't know off-hand if I can change that.

Click 'em all fast and hit Print Screen!!  Even better would be a video.  I'd like to watch the progress bar just go zzzzzzzzzzzzzzooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmm => Done!! Must be almost like just copying the file.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2010, 12:43 PM »
New HCenc beta

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/HC

HCenc 0.24 is no longer beta. Works great without any problems here. I'm sure I'll be moving to BD Rebuilder at some point, but this amazing encoder has been great for good 'ole standard DVD.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2010, 01:46 PM »
New HCenc beta

HCenc 0.24 is no longer beta. Works great without any problems here. I'm sure I'll be moving to BD Rebuilder at some point, but this amazing encoder has been great for good 'ole standard DVD.

I just did a run with it last night.  I was a bit paranoid when it started to encode and changed my max of 9000 kbit to 9400 .. but I guess he knows what he's doing.  The output looked great. It's a shame FAVC has some quirks. I would like to find a reliable way to run HC Enc concurrently an instance per core.. even if it was just to do the video encode section of the job.  I'll have to investigate the params and see if it's easy to have each instance work on a different video section and piece it together.  The multi-threading uses only about 1/2 my CPU power so I'm thinking there's got to be room to run at least 2 instances.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2010, 12:58 PM »
HCenc 0.25 has been released. Evidently 0.24 would sometimes hang at the end of the encode. Guess I was lucky--never had the issue. I encoded several movies last week with 0.24 and all completed successfully with the typical great quality.

http://hank315.nl/

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2010, 03:16 PM »
HCenc 0.25 has been released. Evidently 0.24 would sometimes hang at the end of the encode. Guess I was lucky--never had the issue. I encoded several movies last week with 0.24 and all completed successfully with the typical great quality.

http://hank315.nl/

I didn't have any hangs either. I'm envious though.  In DVD-Rebuilder thread on DOOM9 these dudes with 8 core processors are talking about DVDRB processing a 2 hour DVD in 18 minutes using it. I assume they mean using 2 pass best profile. :)

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2010, 12:47 PM »
...these dudes with 8 core processors are talking about DVDRB processing a 2 hour DVD in 18 minutes using it. I assume they mean using 2 pass best profile. :)

Checking my DVDRB log file reveals my average processing time (ie. prepare/encode/rebuild) is around 60 minutes on a 3 year old dual core comp. Not bad considering HC's quality output; I'll gladly take that tradeoff.

But 18 minutes to process a 2 hour movie--that's crazy fast!! 8)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2010, 01:54 PM »
Yeah, that is wild.  I did a double-take when you wrote an hour, but I tend to forget most of the time I'm sizing down.  Really kills the fps when you're resizing to a smaller frame.

It's amazing what a difference a rich source makes though.  Often when I encode a DVD9 using HC I'll shrink it to DVD5 with DVDShrink to test burn an erasable disc. Just to make sure there's no stutter in the video or something else weird.  Usually even the erasable DVD5s look great!! A tad more gloss with the DVD9 after upscaling though. I'm thinking DVD9 blanks should start to get a lot cheaper as people get set top boxes.  I'd like to see them come down to < 50 cents a disc.