topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 6:03 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Undelete utilities?  (Read 21536 times)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Undelete utilities?
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2010, 03:31 PM »
Thanks Innuendo and sajman99.  Having thought about it for a while (and before I read your messages), I decided perhaps I should indeed install it on a flash key, as several people suggested, so I did.  After reading your messages, I thought perhaps I'll put it on my hard drive as well, but the program apparently doesn't want to be installed in more than one place at a time.  It told me I had already installed it, and did I want to uninstall it from where I had it.  I decided to leave well enough alone.  :)

Thanks again to cmpm for calling attention to the offer of a free copy.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2010, 09:31 PM »
It told me I had already installed it, and did I want to uninstall it from where I had it.  I decided to leave well enough alone.  :)

Wonder what would have happened if you had answered yes to that question while the flash drive was not plugged in...

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2010, 10:08 PM »
Wonder what would have happened if you had answered yes to that question while the flash drive was not plugged in...
The flash drive on which I installed it wasn't plugged in when I tried to install the program on my hard drive.  I assume that the Setup program recognized simply that it had already been run once.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2010, 03:23 PM »
The flash drive on which I installed it wasn't plugged in when I tried to install the program on my hard drive.  I assume that the Setup program recognized simply that it had already been run once.

I meant when the installer asked "Do you want to uninstall and install somewhere else?" without the flash drive plugged in I wonder what would have happened if you said "Yes, I do want to uninstall and install elsewhere."

But....I'm curious like that & it often gets me into trouble. :)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2010, 04:07 PM »
Innuendo, I assume it would have recognized that it couldn't find where the program was installed and would have asked me to supply the path.  For now, though, I guess it will have to remain one of Life's Unanswered Questions  :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2010, 01:35 PM »
I will like to mention that if 'you' ever purchase a copy of Easeus Data Recovery Wizard you will need to have the order ID ready each time you want to APPLY for an updating file.

dalchina

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2010, 01:24 PM »
The thing that has puzzled me (ever since a fomer Chinese student of mine said she had lost all her CV, essay research and so on stored on her mp4 player - with er hmm- no back up- is the utilities that profess to recover data from formatted flash storage.

My concept of that is that it should be impossible.. am I mistaken? Two (random) examples below.

Are they simply failing to distinguish quick format from full format? Or is it a con..

E.g.
BadCopy Pro is the leading data recovery software for removable storage. It can recover data and files from flash drives including USB flash drive, USB memory, JumpDrive, Pen Drive, Pocket Drive, Thumb Drive and many more USB flash drives.

The software works with Microsoft Windows platform (from Windows 9x to Vista) and it's very easy to use. It can recover deleted files, formatted drive, or data loss due to damage, media error, bad sectors and other reasons. BadCopy Pro is a safe data recovery software that performs read-only operations on your source flash drive and saves the recovered files to the location you specify.
======
USB Drive Data Recovery Software
USB drive data recovery software is the best tool to recover lost or deleted data saved on your pen drive media. Recovers all deleted, corrupted, formatted files and folders from USB Pen Drive of all major brands ....
Software Features

Restore data from formatted, virus corrupted, inaccessible pen drive storage media.
Easily retrieve all deleted files and folders.
Support recovery of files lost due to human error or virus generated data loss. 

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2011, 07:14 PM »
Undelete 360 is another freeware with a portable version. Looks like it can both recover and securely wipe files.

However, it seems Recuva is currently outperforming Undelete 360 on my system. Recuva displayed and recovered files which Undelete 360 marked as corrupt. And I didn't even have to use Recuva's deep scan.

Still, I suppose Undelete 360 is likely to improve.