topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 10:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Circle Dock Dual Screen Slow Refresh  (Read 6123 times)

unimatrix

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Circle Dock Dual Screen Slow Refresh
« on: January 24, 2010, 07:03 AM »
Hi

When i saw the alpha release of circle dock switched to it straight away, after setting the icons and size and all, I was happy that this was the dock of choice.

However no sooner had I set up everything I realised something was wrong.

My specs are
I7 920 OC (4GHz) 6gb RAM win 7 64bit
1GB Nvidia Geforce 260 OC - Latest Drivers and All
Dual Monitors 22"

1) If I unhide the Circle Dock on screen 1 then rehide it, I can move an application window smoothly without Vertical Refresh (shearing redraw), or another example is scroll down a firefox page smoothly.

2) If I unhide the Circle Dock on screen 1 then rehide it, and have firefox or any other app on the same window then moving it shows vertical refresh (shearing) as the screen seems to draw a unhidden circle dock.  Even something as simple as scrolling on firefox shows shearing as if one has not installed their graphics card on the first windows installation.

If i then unhide the circle dock on a different screen then the problem goes away.  Which is odd the only thing I can think of it must be something it does with the graphics card.

Now I have the latest DX and Nvidia Drivers, and dont have any trouble with the other tried docks.

Was hoping that the release of Circle Dock 1.0 would remove the problem.

Any advice would be great.

regards
Unimatrix

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
Re: Circle Dock Dual Screen Slow Refresh
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 09:47 AM »
I have seen this effect on a Vista 64 PC but never on machines with 32-bit operating systems so I can only conclude  that the issue lies somewhere in the Windows 32-bit emulation. You could try adjusting your video card's hardware acceleration and see if that helps.

Circle Dock does not use DirectX at all but it does use GDI to render all the bitmaps.

One solution would be for me to release a 64-bit version of Circle Dock, however that would require you to download and install the 64-bit Net Framework. The downside to that is that the 64-bit version would never be capable of supporting Docklets since these are all in the 32-bit domain.

Mark
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 09:51 AM by Markham »

unimatrix

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 10:24 AM »
Yes you are right I do use 64bit Windows 7, would have used 32bit but would not get access to all my RAM, since I do a lot of video editing need lots of realestate space and circle dock was ideal.

So is the request you suggested possible ?  I would not mind doing what it takes to get it working...  Dont worry about docklets I only use icons with circle dock.....

If not then no worries I understood the limations when getting a 64bit OS......

regards
Unimatrix

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 11:43 AM »
Aha! Well there is a Kernel patch available for 32-bit Windows 7 (and another for 32-bit Vista) here. I have installed the Windows 7 patch and can confirm that it does work, as you can see:

SystemPNG.pngCircle Dock Dual Screen Slow Refresh

As for creating a 64-bit version of Circle Dock, I'll add it to the "wish" list (it's not quite as simple as simply throwing a compiler switch, unfortunately).

Mark

unimatrix

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 04:22 PM »
That is a brilliant solution if only I had known prior to installing 64bit version, and software, and plugins and customisation.

darn...........

Its a bit backward step for me to take although If i do reinstall machine in future will make it 32bit and apply patch, but yes 64bit is a pain i.e Cant run Sandboxie beautiful app just dont work on my machine.

Anyhow whenever you get the chance I will be sure to make the switch to C.D.

regards
Unimatrix

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 09:10 PM »
Keep checking here for news about 64-bit native support.

Mark