topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:30 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: AVAST! 5 released  (Read 24159 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
AVAST! 5 released
« on: January 20, 2010, 11:18 AM »
AVAST! 5 has been released (though only English seems to be currently available).

There is no automatic update but it does seem to install over version 4 without problem. It extends existing free license during the upgrade.

The free version still needs to be registered but the registration process is now built into the software rather than having to go back to the website and wait for a license code.

avastsc.png

See http://www.avast.com...e-antivirus-download for more details.

Installed it and it looks quite nice - big UI change though.

The Pro version has also been released and now includes a firewall (not sure version 4 did but I never tried it so maybe it did).
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 11:36 AM by Carol Haynes »

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: AVAST! 5 released
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 12:35 AM »
VirusBulletin review of 5 beta here:
http://www.virusbtn....es/Avast-Jan2010.pdf

Being disappointed with Eset AV v4 , I wonder if anyone here tried this Avast v5 Pro (and maybe the new Internet Suite v5) ?

Grateful for any tips/comments on new Avast v5 versus the rest (eg. Avira Antivir Premium)  ?

SKA

Kamel

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 12:43 AM »
Nice, thanks for the heads up.

I'm extremely picky about anti-virus (that doesn't even really describe it tbh) and I've found avast! to be the only free one that has been able to win me over so far.

Hope this new update is a true update and not a 1 step forward, 2 steps backward kinda deal like many tend to be in the software world =\
I'm the guy you yell at when your DSL goes down...

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 01:05 AM »
Avast! fan here :) I thought from the sound of a blog-post that it will automatically update itself from 4->5 actually, but we'll wait and see when the Norwegian version is ready.

Anyway, I've always been very happy with avast!, although it has come up with a couple of false positives related to AHK a while ago :-\

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 02:55 AM »
If anyone is wondering why they list "Green computing" as a feature pic show why :) Like the opposite of MSE. After a full scan there is hardly any activity regarding files on hd. I have not changed/tweaked any of the open/write/read settings, not yet. I wonder about the difference in battery life between MSE and Avast 5 on laptops/netbooks.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 03:57 AM »
AVAST doesn't auto update from version 4 to 5 (even in English). You need to download version 5 and run the installer. It automatically removes version 4 before installing.

Not sure on the new license details but version 4 clearly stated the free version was for home/non-commercial use only but the version 5 free version just says it is free and as far as I can find makes no mention of non-commercial restrictions.

Seems to install quickly and smoothly on Windows XP (haven't tried yet on Vista and 7) and runs unobtrusively.

The UI has been simplified and the silly 'VHS style' interface has finally disappeared. The tray icon(s) have been reduced to a single icon.

All the features of version 4.8 seem to be still there but they say it has been re-written.

Only time will tell if it is as successful as version 4 has been but my initial impressions are that it is worth a go.

It now has a silent gaming mode which allows you to use full screen applications without interruption by prompts or notifications and you can turn it to silent mode even for desktop apps for periods or time or permanently (though why you would want to beats me).

My only niggle (which is carried over from version 4) is that the 'exclusions' list doesn't seem to work properly - ie. if you add a folder to the exceptions list it should ignore the folder contents both in scan but also realtime monitoring. Unfortunately it still blocks applications in the excluded folders when you try to run them. (I have a couple of tools that are classified as 'Trojan/gen' despite reporting false positives and I can't use them even with the exceptions list without completely disabling the AV software!)

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 04:18 AM »
Speaking of excluding notice they have Firefox sessionstore.js excluded per default. But only work if profile is in default folder arrangement.

*\firefox\profiles\*sessionstore*.js

for me that is no good since I don't have a firefox folder so must change to

*\profile\*sessionstore*.js

Is profile and not profiles. Don't know why. Since Firefox is a problem why not something else? May be wise to check their forum next week or so.

Can't find that balloon pop up there was in 4, letting you see what was scanned in real-time. Now only "last file scanned" under each shield.

Think I read 4.8 will auto-update to 5 but not right now since they need to have servers in place. What "exclusively on download.com until 22. January" means I guess. Or is that promotion? May be an attempt to play it safe as it must be easier to recover good relations with a handful of millions than many ;) If you have set 4.8 to ask for permission for update program then you can refuse. Don't know how long they will support old version.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 04:29 AM by Bamse »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 04:52 AM »
the version 5 free version just says it is free and as far as I can find makes no mention of non-commercial restrictions.

ooohh that would be nice :)
Tom

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 05:30 AM »
My only niggle (which is carried over from version 4) is that the 'exclusions' list doesn't seem to work properly - ie. if you add a folder to the exceptions list it should ignore the folder contents both in scan but also realtime monitoring. Unfortunately it still blocks applications in the excluded folders when you try to run them.

Carol , does this work for you :
To allow avast! to ask you what to do when a virus/PUP/suspicious file  is found:
change action settings of avast!, which is set to block by default.
1. Open avast! GUI   
2. Click REAL-TIME SHIELDS [on left side of GUI]
3. Click File System Shield
4. Click Expert Settings [on right side of GUI]
5. Click Actions [on the left side of the new FILE SYSTEM SHIELD SETTINGS window that popped up]
6. Change first dropdown box to Ask [under Select action to be performed when a virus is found] , You can also specify some backup actions.
Repeat Step #6 for PUP(potentially unwanted programs)  and Suspicious files

SKA

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 07:26 AM »
Thanks but no it doesn't help. The only way to get that to work is to set the action on all three to no action - at which point I may as well uninstall the AV altogether.

If you set the first option to ASK it does that but the only options it gives are Delete/Repair/Move to Chest - there is no ignore option.

UPDATE:

You can exclude files/folders from active shields and manual scans.

Go To Real Time Shields
Select File System Shield on the left
Select Expert Settings
Select Exclusions and add the files/folders

I tried doing this in the Exclusions list in the main settings tree but from there it doesn't seem to work.

Setting the exclusions from File System Shield has the desired effect.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 07:56 AM by Carol Haynes »

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 09:13 AM »
Did a clean install today, just finished configuring it a few minutes ago. It's still too soon to tell if there's any drawback under the hood, but the first impressions of its behaviour are positive. Much better UI, with all tools centralized in a single location, instead of being separated like before, and drastically reduced memory usage. A couple of things seems to be missing in comparison with version 4.8, namely URL blocking (let's be fair, nobody used it), and indications on the system tray when the program is getting updates. IMO this is a big loss, because notification boxes are fairly invasive for such info.

BTW, for the fans of avast! voiceovers, those are still present, and thinking in the sanity of the rest of the world, Alwil has provided us with simple notifications sounds as well.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 09:16 AM by Lashiec »

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 03:26 PM »
Avast 5 is not free for business or anything smelling of business

2010-01-21_124117.png

URL blocking is now in the firewall or Internet Suite. Doubtful if anyone used it but how about Avast? ;) Is 2010 but blocking IPs is still a very effective way of protection against web crap. Why Malwarebytes now have IP blocking for example. They can't keep up and mainly focus on what is not covered by normal AVs already. So useful it must be a premium feature. Avast is not like AVG but of course they need arguments for users to jump at Pro or the Suite. Good deal as it is.

Another new feature is password protection of settings. Perfect for those who look after family computers :) They get UAC like prompt if they feel like tinkering.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 03:29 PM by Bamse »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 05:36 PM »
Where did you get the quote from?

Avast 5 does not have a "Home Edition" any longer - it is called "AVAST! 5 Free".

On the website there is still the old registration page for version 4 but it is not used in Version 5.

Interestingly when you run the installer there is no license agreement to agree with and there is no reference to the lices in the Program install folder or in the application itself.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 05:59 PM »
OK, found the first serious bug within the program. As I was sitting here, checking up the news, and enjoying some nice music, I noticed that from time to time, the music started to sound scratchy, which doesn't make any sense, as is played directly from the hard disk. As the dropouts took place when I loaded new pages, and the avast! icon was spinning while doing so, I concluded the antivirus was causing the dropouts, which is exactly what happens. Though avast! can do better, I wonder why the hell µTorrent is so damn incompatible with security software.

EDIT: Hell, µTorrent isn't causing this, it's avast! alone. Damn it...

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 09:40 PM »
Sounds like good old web scanner mess. Avast Web Shield has been one of the better though. Conflict with firewall or other part dealing with net traffic. 99% chance you see similar problems at their forum.

Well may be they have made Avast 5 free for business and just forgot to edit FAQ and design web page ;) http://support.avast...e&kbarticleid=36 License stuff has not changed. Those with old keys can use them in Avast 5. So businesses who bought 4.8 Pro should throw it away and go Avast 5 Free since it is better and now legal? Or wonder about what they have been paying for now everyone get it for free? Would not go down well.

http://forum.avast.c...ex.php?topic=48375.0 so they had since September 09 to be crystal clear. Scroll down to Vlk who work for Avast.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 09:42 PM by Bamse »

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 06:09 AM »
Hi,
Does it work well with Win7 ?  I have to remove an expired McAfee version and I am considering either this new Avast or Avira Free Edition.
.merle1.

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 06:26 AM »
Sure it does http://www.avast.com...ivirus-download#tab2 but if you want to be almost 100% certain it really really works then wait a week or so. There could be minor bugs like Lashiec might have run in to. Last beta was tested by over 1 million so... more like used due to bundling with Google Pack but at least Avast feel confident.

Only feature that does not work is boot scanner. For now only 32 bit.

Run Mcafees uninstaller http://service.mcafe...ent.aspx?id=TS100507 after add/remove session. Or run it instead, not sure what is most correct. Either way, Mcafee must be completely gone.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 06:40 AM »
Seems to work fine on XP, Vista Ult and 7 Pro here.

No issues that I have noticed. (No audio jitters for me on XP anyway)

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2010, 08:23 AM »
<Run Mcafees uninstaller http://service.mcafee.com...Document.aspx?id=TS100507 after add/remove session. Or run it instead, not sure what is most correct. Either way, Mcafee must be completely gone.>

Thanks for the uninstaller link !  Unfortunately it yields to : http://service.mcafee.com/Error.aspx
.merle1.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 08:31 AM by MerleOne »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 09:36 AM »

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2010, 10:55 AM »
I'm a long-time avast! fan, but this little bit of news got my attention.  It's influencing me to wait an extra week or two before upgrading.

"ALWIL Software, the developers of avast!—probably the world’s most popular antivirus product—today announced that Vince Steckler has joined the company as CEO. Previously, Vince served as senior vice-president of consumer sales at Symantec, the world’s largest producer of security software."

http://www.avast.com/news
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2010, 02:17 PM »
Hmmm - I suppose he used to work at Symantec so it may not be as bad as it sounds  :-\

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2010, 04:18 PM »
Two days ago, I upgraded from Avast 4.8 to Avast 5 free on my Windows7 netbook.  As soon as I did so, I was unable to access the Internet!  I tried several things, and disabling Outpost Firewall Pro gave me back my Internet access.  I went through several scenarios, including uninstalling Avast5 free and reenabling Outpost Firewall (this, too, permitted me to access the Internet).  Today, I tried again to install Avast5 free, and again I found myself unable to access any web sites.  I should add that I did NOT have this problem between Outpost Firewall Pro and Avast 4.8.  Anyway, I decided for the time being to uninstall Avast 5 free and install Microsoft Security Essentials.  That seems to be working, but I'd really prefer to be using Avast 5  :( .  I've sent messages to the Avast and Outpost forums to see whether I can get any insight into what the problem is and what if anything I can do about it.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2010, 04:39 PM »
I switched from avast! to NOD32 about a year ago, disappointed by its detection rate, its awful GUI and its false positives. I really doubt they fixed it all in v5.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2010, 05:06 PM »
Hi, Tuxman.  That's strange, since one of the things I really like about Avast is that I've had NO false positives.  I don't tend to get much malware, and just about all the "findings" that various security programs have produced in the last few years have been false positives.