topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Make Firefox startup faster.  (Read 33015 times)

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Make Firefox startup faster.
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2009, 11:32 AM »
I was thinking the same, just about a 3rd party program trying to jump on the wagon build by this blog entry http://blog.mozilla....firefox-with-vacuum/ Actually one before that but this shows that Placescleaner and few others do work within browser, and automatically. Also have an eye for other parameters like visited sites. Dumping those not really useful to keep. Number of days to save history should be lowered inside options of course. 90 is deault? May be 10 is ok too ;) I have tried Placescleaner, work as advertised - but I think you will see this in most "cleaner/tweakers" not just CCleaner. There is another one I can't remember name of.

May be dreaming but I think I have heard something about this getting into Firefox 4, also checking of "corruption". Could be 3.7 if that even exist. I am confused about their release schedule. Pretty sure they are aware of this though. Blog entry is from a Mozilla dude... Until then there is much traffic to gain by using magical keywords, Firefox, boost, tweak ;)

« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 11:40 AM by Bamse »

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2009, 11:38 AM »
Number of days to save history should be lowered inside options of course. 90 is deault? May be 10 is ok too ;)
These are the minimum days IIRC, so there is no notable increase...

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2009, 11:42 AM »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2009, 12:41 PM »
btw- Fodder just posted a link to the same article I already posted.
Yeah, I wrote my post before seeing new replys to the thread.

Btw, I'm one of those running my firefox profile from a ramdisk - extensions as well as internet cache etc. It does help a fair amount wrt. speed :)

I thought that might be you. :)

I did reread that blog.  If you plow through the thick language what they are really saying is, it was a gimmick for WMP to hog the prefetch.  IOW, if I write an editor and handle file types such as .txt .doc .srt whatever, instead of just putting "%1" as param, if I put a bogus pararm that is different for each file type, chances are I could end up with multiple entries in the prefetch.  People would marvel how fast my editor loads compared to SuperEditWhatever brand.  One more way to give the home team an edge.

I have WMP in my kill list, just because I really don't want it indexing stuff.  Now everyone will look through their file type associations to see which apps are trying to hog the prefetch using the same trick. Another popular one is the "helper" or "agent" that sits in the tray. Just in case you may run that app someday.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 12:43 PM by MilesAhead »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2009, 03:50 PM »
IOW, if I write an editor and handle file types such as .txt .doc .srt whatever, instead of just putting "%1" as param, if I put a bogus pararm that is different for each file type, chances are I could end up with multiple entries in the prefetch.  People would marvel how fast my editor loads compared to SuperEditWhatever brand.  One more way to give the home team an edge.
You risk pushing other people out of the limited amount of prefix cache entries, yes (unless multiple /prefetch:n shortcuts for one app are counted as single entries, I don't know) - but I really do think this was implemented because it was believed to be a genuinely good idea, not for nefarious purposes.

That was XP, anyway Vista/Win7 SuperFetch has had a lot of changes (and works much better), so I dunno how relevant it is today :)

PS: reason I asked if SpeedyFox (and friends, for that matter) do anything but sqlite VACUUM was that it could make sense to defrag the files as well - after VACUUM handling crud and internal fragmentation, the sqlite databases can have a fair amount of filesystem fragmentation as well.
- carpe noctem

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2009, 09:16 PM »
@f0dder I don't think it's anything to launch Congressional Hearings over or anything.  It just smacks of the same annoying attitude like with undocumented APIs.  Like, we put these functions in the OS for programmers to use them, but we won't tell you about them unless you're on the short list.  Kind of like stock market insider trading.  That there were actually reputable books with the title "Undocumented Windows" kind of tells the story.  It's just annoying.  Like for a long time it was sort of a big secret how to program cool shell extensions.  Same thing.

It's one thing if you won't publish the source code to the OS. It's another if you don't even document the function calls!! Sheesh!!!

« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 09:28 PM by MilesAhead »

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2009, 12:28 AM »
If you use CCleaner this compacting has been added. Don't know when but it is there now. Works on all sqlite files.

Must try that!  :Thmbsup:

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2009, 04:22 AM »
I know Placescleaner work inside browser but not sure about CCleaner. Perhaps best to take notice of Tuxmans concern and close Firefox before "cleaning". Those sqlite files can get corrupted and unless you know someone capable of editing only fix is to delete.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2009, 06:03 AM »
It's one thing if you won't publish the source code to the OS. It's another if you don't even document the function calls!! Sheesh!!!
While I agree that some of the undocumented function calls should have been formalized & documented, I don't necessarily agree that everything should be documented & exposed to the world. Encapsulation and abstraction...
- carpe noctem

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2009, 12:19 PM »
While I agree that some of the undocumented function calls should have been formalized & documented, I don't necessarily agree that everything should be documented & exposed to the world. Encapsulation and abstraction...

I think "Undocumented API" is on just about everyone's list of oxymorons.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2009, 01:11 PM »
:) - which is why you can't really call it an API anyway. Just because something is exported from a DLL doesn't make it an API.
- carpe noctem

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2009, 06:40 PM »
:) - which is why you can't really call it an API anyway. Just because something is exported from a DLL doesn't make it an API.

I can't but apparently dozens of programming authors can.  See Amazon.
Anyway, it's not as big a deal as it used to be.  Even MS documents most of the stuff in the online pages now.  But in the old days, there wasn't that much stuff on the internet.  You had to wait for some author to step through code and see how the other guy was doing it, or debug it yourself.  Not the way I want to spend Sunday afternoon when they could have just documented it in the first place.. like normal people.

shobazi

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2010, 07:35 PM »
I tried as you said but there is no change in the speed of my firefox.. any body are facing script problem in firefox as my firefox is closing continuosly...Is there any way to rectify this..

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2010, 12:29 AM »
If you use CCleaner this compacting has been added. Don't know when but it is there now. Works on all sqlite files.

Must try that!  :Thmbsup:

Ccleaner is doing the job! FF is starting faster...  :Thmbsup:

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2010, 04:27 AM »
Basic troubleshooting shobazi http://support.mozil...=n&s=diagnostics Look out for Greasemonkey scripts, some fantastic, others should be avoided. Note separate article for plugins. They do not follow "new profile and all is solved" logic. Can be tricky. Disable what is not obviously needed usually works. Besides that I think they cover everything. Firefox can get into its own problems, not screwing up profile with crappy add-ons and scripts is what you can do.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2010, 01:30 PM »
There are some strange things with FF.  One thing I can't figure out is one version of FF will show those little pop-down descriptions on the TV Guide Listings page, and with others when they open there's no text.  (Either that or there's something strange how it handles the text.  Maybe foreground and background color the same.) I kind of use that as a gauge.  If I'm trying a beta and everything else seems to work, then I'll go to TV Guide site and try those descriptions.